Is it like starting out for the 1st time again?

mosa
mosa Posts: 754
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
Was regularly out on my bike 4-5 times a week up to about 200+ miles. Mainly 30+ through week nights and more on a Sunday. Due to losing interest somewhat I have had about a month off and went out last week and did a short 10 mile route and thought I was going to die. :-(. My question is will this pass shortly if I start to go out every other night and again on a Sunday or do I have to build all my fitness up again. The only thing I noticed was that my av mph was 15.7 the 1st time I returned to the saddle then 16.7 although not the greatest speed a lot better than the 12 when I started out in March. But felt very slow whilst out and was on my alloy bike (makes a big difference from my departed carbon job)
My bikes

2018 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro

Comments

• RDB66
    RDB66 Posts: 492
    Just get out and ride....It'll soon come back. I think its something alot of us suffer with, at some time or another.

I was told that, for every week of Fitness you lose...It takes Two weeks to get back !!

Rich.
    A Brother of the Wheel. http://www.boxfordbikeclub.co.uk

09 Canyon Ultimate CF for the Road.
    2011 Carbon Spesh Stumpy FSR.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    RDB66 wrote:
    Just get out and ride....It'll soon come back. I think its something alot of us suffer with, at some time or another.

I was told that, for every week of Fitness you lose...It takes Two weeks to get back !!

Rich.
    You loose a bit but not that much really, dont forget pros taper.
    I can go from zero to racing in 12 weeks, depends how you go about getting it back.
    I dont go for the usual increase 10% a week, thats ok for beginners but the op can get back quicker doing few really steady rides , even long ones, and gradually increase intensity rather than distance.
  • I had the summer off involuntarily due to a tussle (resolved as of today :)) with the housing organisation that owns the block in which is my (privately owned and rented) flat, over the issue of bike storage; I therefore had to keep my bikes 10 miles away and didn't do much cycling. That followed my stopping a job that gave me nearly 40 miles a day of commuting.

After the above, I'm a lot less fit than I was, but I know that it's not completely gone because it takes much longer than that, and I'm still active. Apart from anything else, consider the pros who suffer injuries and have lengthy rehabilitation periods. I know that tomorrow I would struggle to complete my old 18 mile run in 50 minutes let alone faster if I tried, but it's not like being at square one.

To be honest, I think you aren't helping yourself with your mental attitude. You've had a couple of bad runs that weren't up to what you know you can do; that's all. Ride regularly and it will come back.

You're clearly quite good at convincing yourself - if you really are much slower on your aluminium bike then there is something wrong with it or it is a Brompton! :wink: