Interesting Frame Geometry Article

Levi_501
Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
For all you aspiring frame designers/builders

Taster...

Mountain Bike Geometry: An Overview

Geometry is something you hear about all the time when talking about bikes such as, "I love this bike's geometry!" or "Our bikes' geometry are the best in the business..." But what is geometry, and what makes it "good"? If you are a bit confused as to what exactly geometry is, then this blog should clear up any misconceptions you may have.

Introduction
Geometry is the set of all the measurements on a bike. Every angle and tube length is a part of a bike’s overall geometry. Geometry affects the feel of a bike more than anything else. This is why you can’t take a cross country bike and turn it into a downhill bike. No matter how bombproof you build it, it will still feel out of place and awkward because the geometry is geared towards cross country.

Full weblink

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/bike-frame ... -2009.html

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It's basic, but gets the fundamentals across.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    I would love to build my own bike, alas I do not have my own jig therefore it would be very (I assume) difficult to get it to ride straight.

It would be good fun though!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My friend made his own frame, first by making the jigs out if 20mm MDF.......

Very basic article, what sticks most is that the diagram shows EFFECTIVE tt length tabs seat tube angle, yet the text doesn't mention this at all.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.