Rapid rise rear derailleur HELP

williemiller
williemiller Posts: 5
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm having trouble adjusting my rear derailleur. It is a shimano deore LX rapid rise derailleur working a nine speed cassette. At the moment I cannot shift into the smaller sprockets. In attempting to adjust this I have manually moved the derailleur in-line with the smallest sprocket and taken in all the cable slack. I can then shift down through the gears smoothly. When it comes to shifting back up through the gears it is shifting one gear for every three clicks, on avarage, so by the time it has changed three gears the cable is guitar string tight.

I can't find any of the internet tutorials that address this. All help/advice gratefully received.

Cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I'm having trouble adjusting my rear derailleur. It is a shimano deore LX rapid rise derailleur working a nine speed cassette. At the moment I cannot shift into the smaller sprockets. In attempting to adjust this I have manually moved the derailleur in-line with the smallest sprocket and taken in all the cable slack. I can then shift down through the gears smoothly. When it comes to shifting back up through the gears it is shifting one gear for every three clicks, on avarage, so by the time it has changed three gears the cable is guitar string tight.

I can't find any of the internet tutorials that address this. All help/advice gratefully received.

Cheers
    for rapid rise you do it the other way around. set it over the big cog as that is where it sits without the wire attached.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Even with your dodgy method it shouldn't shift 3 gears for each shifter click, make sure the wire is the right side of the rear clamp bolt......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.