Is this good training?

2»

Comments

• The best way to get through the fasting days is to fast beteween lunchtimes, rather than breakfast times. So, that way you only have to miss out or restrict your intake over the course of two meals (i.e. dinner and the next day's breakfast), and you spend half the time asleep. Easy. And as said above, it's the sort of diet that you can do for the rest of your life, no problem.
  • Carb cycling works for me, low carb intake for a a couple of days a week... I've dropped from 22 % body fat to 10% in 4 months. And loads of protein Stops me being hungry.
    Don't eat crap and only have one cheat evening per week ( sat night with takeaway and beers )
    Only been cycling for about 2 months though. I go to gym mon -fri mornings before work and do light weights / high reps.
    Works for me.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    Thats a great improvement in fat loss. Well done on that. How much do you feel it is down to the extra exercise and how much from the diet?
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    wilo13 wrote:
    These diets people do make me laugh. Just eat healthy foods, cut out the crap, minimise the alcohol and train regularly. What do you think will happen once you stop the 5:2 diet? Put weight back on maybe?

I've been on it nearly 4 months. This is the time of year I normally get fat due to reducing exercise. It's then friggin hard to get it off come march when I start training hard again. My weight has stabilised and each fasting day gets easier. Tonight I could have not eaten at all and had a zero cal day. I just ate a massive salad 600 cal and am stuffed.

I don't intend to stop the diet and didn't do it to reduce weight. More interested in reducing IGF-1 and cholesterol.

I also just managed a 30%er on a night MTB ride a night ago. This particular hill is slippy and loose, I have only done it once before. Yet last night it felt easy. Simple physics, 7kg less lard to drag up. I also had to buy new clothes 32-34 waist down to 30
  • Sprool wrote:
    Thats a great improvement in fat loss. Well done on that. How much do you feel it is down to the extra exercise and how much from the diet?

If that's re my post -
    30% from more exercise and 70% from diet.
    Btw I cut out a lot of fat as well as dropping carbs, eg I will eat pittas instead of normal bread for lower carbs
    I don't have marg or spreads , eat lean meat. Take out egg yokes , so say 4 whites and 1 yoke with pitta for brekky.
    No carbs at all after 6pm, use protein shake with water for supper..
    It's very surprising how fast the fat drops when on low carbs.. But it's very hard training in a morning in the gym with nowt in the tank..
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    Thats the problem I found with really starting to get into biking when on the 5:2 diet. I have been so much hungrier and feel like I have little energy to push hard when I've not had my days calories. This is why I'm interested in finding out more about low impact and tempo training - something that will help burn the fat before the carbs.
    The 5:2 diet on Horizon really caught my interest as it was presented very credibly unlike the Gillian McKeith tosh, and it was presented not primarily as a weight loss thing but as a way of getting the cells to turn back on the repair mode not the replicate mode, which led to a lot of other health benefits.
  • Xmas put a bit of a spanner in the 5:2 works for me, so have restarted again this month, on my 4th full week of it.

Not as dramatic as one might hope, but I'm shedding around 1/2kg a week at the moment. I've fasted Mon + Weds for last 4 weeks and on Weds evening I'm around 2kg lighter than the previous Sunday, and then after a couple of decent lunches on Thurs/Fri and a night out on Fri/Sat I've regained around a kilo, leaving about 1/2kg less of me than the previous week.

Anyway, seems to be working and I'm getting in at least 3 gym sessions during the week and a weekend ride.
    Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    wilo13 wrote:
    Just eat healthy foods [in reasonable portions], cut out the crap, minimise the alcohol and train regularly.

What he said. People often want a very complicated answer to a simple question.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,478
    I don't get this "I can stuff myself for 5 days but by fasting for 2 days I'll lose weight" approach. Surely you have to provide a calorie deficit over the entire period to lose weight so if you are eating 3,500 calories on 5 days and 500 calories on the other 2 days you would still gain weight (assuming a break even calorie count of 2,500 to maintain weight at existing levels)?
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    The thing is, you're still focused on losing weight, so you don't stuff yourself on the non-fasting days. I'm still reasonably careful on a 'normal' day, but don't beat myself up if I decide that I need wine or a curry in the evening.

I've been calorie counting using My Fitness Pal for a year or so and dropped about 22lbs. Ideally want to lose another 10lbs, but have really hit a wall and been fluctuating around the same weight for a couple of months now. Really need to up the exercise again I think plus I've (re)started the 5:2 diet which I'm hoping will help shift the last bit.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Pross wrote:
    I don't get this "I can stuff myself for 5 days but by fasting for 2 days I'll lose weight" approach. Surely you have to provide a calorie deficit over the entire period to lose weight so if you are eating 3,500 calories on 5 days and 500 calories on the other 2 days you would still gain weight (assuming a break even calorie count of 2,500 to maintain weight at existing levels)?

Sounds counter-intuitive, but according to the study in the Michael Mosely documentary apparently it works.
  • DB100
    DB100 Posts: 258
    Interesting the Harcombe book mentioned earlier, whether you follow the plan or not, and I'm not, the book makes for very interesting reading.
    I would heartily recommend reading it, see where the "Five a day" mantra came from!
    Also the 3500 calories makes a pound of fat, no scientific basis whatsoever, even the government's own health advisors can't even find where it came from yet it is trumpeted all the time.
    How fruit juices, smoothies etc, are pretty terrible for you and your kids.
    Well researched and worth a read.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've read some of Ms Harcombe's stuff before. It starts off being very persuasive, but as a scientist I feel she's a bit selective with her material and often makes assertions based on no evidence at all.

I am going to give the 5:2 diet a go though. That did seem to produce some measurable benefits. Maybe calling it a diet is wrong; it should really be called a lifestyle change. Mondays and Thursdays for me.
  • jane90
    jane90 Posts: 149
    There is a thread on the weightweenies forum that develops into a discussion on the merits of IF:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... =8&t=69049

As with anything on the internet it's hard to gauge the quality of advice being offered without some idea of a person's experience or qualifications; which is why, personally, I would prefer to know if someone has any properly recognised expertise in the area under discussion even if it looks like showing off.

Just a note of warning, there's lots of macho posturing in the above thread of the "you insulted me so I must now proceed to win the internet" variety, but as this is Bikeradar, you'll all be used to that anyway.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    wilo13 wrote:
    These diets people do make me laugh. Just eat healthy foods, cut out the crap, minimise the alcohol and train regularly. What do you think will happen once you stop the 5:2 diet? Put weight back on maybe?
    Just about to post something similar. There is no miracle diet. All these diet plans are all marketing bulls*it, and you've all fell for it. All this talk of diet plans and your cravings for food etc, you sounds like a load of middle aged single mothers down the bingo, man up FFS.
  • trek_dan wrote:
    wilo13 wrote:
    Just about to post something similar. There is no miracle diet. All these diet plans are all marketing bulls*it, and you've all fell for it. All this talk of diet plans and your cravings for food etc, you sounds like a load of middle aged single mothers down the bingo, man up FFS.

+ f**king 1
  • Joeblack
    Joeblack Posts: 829
    trek_dan wrote:
    wilo13 wrote:

This, it always amazes how so many people can fail to see that there is no magic fix or secret to losing weight :roll:
    One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling