Cycle trainer!!!!

Benz carrera
Benz carrera Posts: 146
edited November 2012 in MTB general
Hello I was just wondering if you can use any cycle trainer with a mountain bike I have a carrera Vulcan (2012) thanks

Comments

• craigw99
    craigw99 Posts: 224
    yep but it will be noisey
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    And you get special hard tyres for road bikes - will eat up a knobbly.
    Nothing more boring I can think of - just get some warm gear, MTFU and go for a ride.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    If you going to use a mountain bike on a trainer buy a slick tyre
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • evo3ben
    evo3ben Posts: 552
    Yes it will work but must ensure that a turbo trainer skewer comes with the turbo as the one on your bike at the moment wont be ideal and will get ruined.
    Ideally you will want a turbo specific tyre http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... tedKingdom to replace your nobbly tire. If not then a smooth standard tyre will do just not last as long as a turbo specific tyre. And very importantly (for me anyway) music on an phone or ipod and headphones to help kill the boredom 8)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    And you need to buy/steal the Sufferfest videos if you don't want to get mindnumbingly bored....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I've got mine set up in the garage with a spare wheel attached with a turbo tyre on there all the time. Much easier than faffing about changing the tyre.

Was great while I was recovering from surgery, just to get the legs working again and back to some semblence of fitness.

Still use it pretty regularly, especially now we're coming into winter. I still find it to be a good training tool.

As said above though, I either use the ipod or wireless earphones hooked up to the laptop to stop the boredom from killing me.

Oh, and be prepared for the fact you will sweat buckets!