Skull caps with ear bits - do they work?

dynamicbrick
dynamicbrick Posts: 460
edited October 2012 in Road buying advice
I can put up with most of my body parts freezing to the point of numbness, but my inner ears I cannot. The ear itself doesn't particularly bother me when cold, but when the inner bit of the ear gets really cold it skips being numb and just goes straight to hurting like fury. Hate it.

Normally I have a pair of earphone buds in (as they allow ambient noise to pass) to take the sting out of it, but in the really cold weather these act as heat exchangers and can make it worse!

Been looking at the Foska and Endura (IIRC) skull caps with ear bits.

Question is, do they actually do what they say on the tin, or do they make your head hot and neatly channel cold air into the ear?

Comments

• I have an Endura BaaBaa skull cap type hat with ear bits and it works a treat, no cold ears here.

You can also use a buff balaclava style to achieve a similar effect, this also worked well for me this morning!

Cheers,
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • I find a headband works best. It keeps your ears warm whilst allowing your head to breathe still. I only put on the full skullcap when it is seriously cold, in which case I should probably get on the turbo or go back to bed. Something like this is perfect....
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... iorzhed350
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Maverick54 wrote:
    I find a headband works best. It keeps your ears warm whilst allowing your head to breathe still. I only put on the full skullcap when it is seriously cold, in which case I should probably get on the turbo or go back to bed. Something like this is perfect....
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... iorzhed350

Agreed.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    I have one of these - http://www.rapha.cc/winter-hat?locale=UK and it's excellent.

Comes down low enough to completely cover my ears (unlike the skullcaps I've tried) and doesn't block out too much noise (unlike windproof fabrics which just seem to create whistling noises). Add to that the peak for keeping the rain off your glasses and you have a winner.

Pretty sure Giro and a few other brands make them too these days (I've had mine for years).
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    I have one of these - http://www.rapha.cc/winter-hat?locale=UK and it's excellent.

Comes down low enough to completely cover my ears (unlike the skullcaps I've tried) and doesn't block out too much noise (unlike windproof fabrics which just seem to create whistling noises). Add to that the peak for keeping the rain off your glasses and you have a winner.

Pretty sure Giro and a few other brands make them too these days (I've had mine for years).

I've just bought a Craft one of these from Wiggle, arrived this morning. I like wearing a cap as the peak stops the rain getting in my face and on my specs, I like wearing a skull cap because it keeps my lugs warm - this should be a winner!
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I have a roubaix skull with ear bits (specialized one) and it is definitely warm. I try to not use it too much as I find the ear bits make it much harder to hear things and I like to have all my senses at full capacity when cycling.

Generally I find after 20 mins or so I can remove it and continue minus the ear warming.

If you want warm head/ears they are definitely for you.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    have a few skull caps which all cover your ears, couldn't ride without them tbh in the winter, I have Polaris, Ground Effect, Assos and prendas, all good, the GE baked beanie is very tight, it only comes in one size, and the best one - or I should say most practical one - has to be the Assos.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Or a buff/bandana. You can pull it down as low as you need. Handy in extreme cold - one round the neck up to the mouth and one on the head.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    I use altura windcap, although just the headband does seem like a good idea too when not too cold. And a buff for lower face.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Past couple of years I;ve used a buff when it gets cold - just around the neck/chin if slightly chilly but pulled all the way over the back of the head to, if required, cover ears etc- works pretty well and I like that I can tug it back down if I start getting too warm.
    Last night I picked up a skull cap in Lidl (£1.99 I think) which was in their running clothing sale recently - wore it this am - temp of around +5/+6 - and I think that will be an even warmer option as the material is that little bit thicker than a buff and that can then be left around the neck. Also it looks like it should dry fairly quickly so could wash when I get home and have it ready for the next day. This morning it was probably that little too mild for the new cap but I wanted to give it a try out as I have always worn a peaked cap under helmet but I do find they get a bit sweaty around the band.
  • ricky1980
    ricky1980 Posts: 891
    I can put up with most of my body parts freezing to the point of numbness, but my inner ears I cannot. The ear itself doesn't particularly bother me when cold, but when the inner bit of the ear gets really cold it skips being numb and just goes straight to hurting like fury. Hate it.

Man up??? :mrgreen: nothing to contribute tho...just luck i live in a city that has micro-climate and thick CO2 carpet that keep it at least 3-4C above surrounding country side. So i never get this issue. Maybe move into a city???
    Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
    Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Castelli Risvolto. Second winter with mine and can't really fault it.
  • ricky1980 wrote:

Man up??? :mrgreen: nothing to contribute tho...just luck i live in a city that has micro-climate and thick CO2 carpet that keep it at least 3-4C above surrounding country side. So i never get this issue. Maybe move into a city???

I'm in Brighton (well, Hove), so well versed in Rule 5 - personal best was riding at 15mph into a 25mph headwind with ambient of minus 4. Think the windchill made than minus 35 or something... my lungs were on fire.

Anyway, don't mind being cold at all - but the cold and aching inner ears I really hate. Got big ears too, which seems to make it worse.
  • ricky1980
    ricky1980 Posts: 891
    ouch, that is COLD
    Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
    Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg
  • I only managed a mile or so into that before I had to get off and push... just too much, even with a scarf wrapped round my face.

Anyway, thanks for the help all, now I can procrastinate endlessly on which one to buy
  • i have the gore skullcap with the ear thingy's, made a hell of a difference recently up in aberdeen. Bloody cold at 6am but my head and ears are toasty. It has the windstopper material around the front and ears but a more breathable material on the top of the head so as you dont get to hot. Bit pricey at £20 but worth every penny in my opinion.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I use two hats. When it isn't freezing, a rapha merino wool cap provides a brilliant mix of warmth without being too warm. The helmet straps keep the hat in place over the ears. When it's a bit colder, the Assos (think it may be the Stinger) provides more of the same, but I only use this on the coldest days to avoid overheating.

Peter