£350 on a wheelset.....

theboyDonald
theboyDonald Posts: 219
edited October 2012 in Road buying advice
95kg rider....so Pro lites, Quest Scafell, Planet x model c (and spend the rest onenigma branded finishing kit) or Shimano rs80's? Looking for approx 1600g Any experiences or other suggestions would be welcome. For day rides and nothing especially comp etc, so aero not v imp.

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Mavic Ksyrium Elite, especially at your weight. Fantastic stiff wheels.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Ambrosio Excellight rims on Ambrosio hubs with Sapim Lasers on front and ACI on rear(spokes) under budget and on weight target(I think) from wheelsmith.co.uk
  • Would these suggestions still be the same for someone @60kg?
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    markos1963 wrote:
    Ambrosio Excellight rims on Ambrosio hubs with Sapim Lasers on front and ACI on rear(spokes) under budget and on weight target(I think) from wheelsmith.co.uk

+1 pretty much what I ride, except Sapim race (same as ACI I think) on the rear and different hubs. That's a good solid combo, Ambrosio hubs are "good enough".
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • markos1963
    Would these suggestions still be the same for someone @60kg?

At 60 kg the world is your oyster regarding wheels, it's just your budget that decides what you buy. :D
  • GGBiker
    GGBiker Posts: 450

Losing 35kg in weight to widen your choice of wheels seems a bit drastic !!

I have pro lite braccianos, £240 at chain reaction when I bought them, 1500g and made a huge difference especially climbing. No idea if they are weight restricted but would have reservations.
  • GGBiker wrote:

Losing 35kg in weight to widen your choice of wheels seems a bit drastic !!

I have pro lite braccianos, £240 at chain reaction when I bought them, 1500g and made a huge difference especially climbing. No idea if they are weight restricted but would have reservations.

Sorry, I'd hijacked the thread (i'm 35kg lighter than the guy who started it - and hopefully got his answer from the first 2 posters).

The Pro Light wheels look like a bargain!
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    markos1963 wrote:
    Rims ... yes I agree! (better than Open Pros imo) Spokes ... yes I agree! Just depends on the hub, like the new Wheelsmith hub, very light.
  • markos1963
    giant man wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:
    Rims ... yes I agree! (better than Open Pros imo) Spokes ... yes I agree! Just depends on the hub, like the new Wheelsmith hub, very light.

Yes I agree, I chose the hub for the OP for budget reasons. Myself I would save up a bit more and go with either the Wheelsmith hub or PMP.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    drlodge wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:

+1 pretty much what I ride, except Sapim race (same as ACI I think) on the rear and different hubs. That's a good solid combo, Ambrosio hubs are "good enough".

+2, same as mine except I opted for DT competition spokes.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    You could try the IRD Aero 30mm rims built with Novatec Superlight hubs from Wheelsmith. More Aero than the other rims mentioned and still within budget and under 1600gr

I have a set of these wheels and I weigh 78kg - they've been bombproof and very stiff
  • giant man wrote:
    like the new Wheelsmith hub, very light.

They are made by Bitex I think, I have used them for a while, then given up on them as the quality is not very reliable... light but not very good
    left the forum March 2023
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    LegendLust wrote:
    You could try the IRD Aero 30mm rims built with Novatec Superlight hubs from Wheelsmith. More Aero than the other rims mentioned and still within budget and under 1600gr

I have a set of these wheels and I weigh 78kg - they've been bombproof and very stiff

That's a cracking set of wheels, but would also add the velocity a23 rim to your consideration, also available from Derek @ wheelsmith. The aero benefit is similar to a 30mm rim (due to the tyre being the same width as the rim if you're on 23mm tyres) and there's a slight handling benefit through lower pressures and more ready tyre deformation.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Weight of the hub is hardly important. It's the weight of the rim and to a lesser extent, the spokes that matter.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    Mavic Ksyrium Elite, especially at your weight. Fantastic stiff wheels.

Are you a Mavic rep? :wink: On a serious note, having read your repeated praise of the Elites, I was wondering if you had ridden Braccianos as well to be able to compare the two?
  • Can anybody coment on the pro lites? do they flex, as stated I am hard to kidnap, so don't want anything too flexy; mind you starting to look at handbuilt is a real can of worms!
  • Can anybody coment on the pro lites? do they flex, as stated I am hard to kidnap, so don't want anything too flexy; mind you starting to look at handbuilt is a real can of worms!

PRO Lite use budget components to build light wheelsets at an affordable price. Then of course they will claim that they use amazing components, but it's not true, they are rebadged taiwanese parts of low to average quality. As such, they are on the underengineered side and I don't think a set of Bracciano is suitable for your weight, if you are looking at riding them consistently. The bearings are too small, the spoke count is too low and the rims are too fragile to be durable on your bike.
  • smidsy
    Can anybody coment on the pro lites? do they flex, as stated I am hard to kidnap, so don't want anything too flexy; mind you starting to look at handbuilt is a real can of worms!

But much less of a lottery than factory stuff as there are plenty of folk with the knowledge to talk you through what is achievable for what you want/weigh/budget/use etc.

Also everything is replaceable/fixable/available, which is not always so with factory stuff.

How am I doing Ugo? :lol:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    smidsy wrote:
    Can anybody coment on the pro lites? do they flex, as stated I am hard to kidnap, so don't want anything too flexy; mind you starting to look at handbuilt is a real can of worms!

But much less of a lottery than factory stuff as there are plenty of folk with the knowledge to talk you through what is achievable for what you want/weigh/budget/use etc.

Also everything is replaceable/fixable/available, which is not always so with factory stuff.

Damn, beaten at the Internetz.

I am 98kg. I currently ride Fulcrum R5 and they're doing ok. I have, however, had a lengthy conversation with a wheelbuilder on here (and one other) about my requirements for a replacement set of handbuilts and the information, details and prices offered means that when I get around to sticking my hand in my pocket (MUST spend more time on the road bike and less on the mountain bikes!) I will be placing an order with one of them, NOT guessing which factory wheels will work.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • smidsy wrote:

You are doing well :D ,
    However, there is a difference between "factory wheels" and "machine built wheels" the latter are those for which it is difficult to source replacment and they are generally problematic to repair... Mavic and Shimano wheels, for instance, which are otherwise well built and with good quality components.
    Other "Factory wheels" use traditional builds with J spokes and they are "de facto" hand built... (Amrican Classics, PRo Lite etc... ) only they are built to meet a price point (£ 199, £ 499 etc.. ), hence components are sourced cheap to cut costs. Labour is cut short too... I don't think in China a builder is allowed to spend 4 hours on a set of wheels to make sure it is the best job he can possibly do
  • smidsy
    Damn - must try harder 8)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • How am I doing Ugo?
    All too well, I am going to do a bit of reading and decide,based on the suggestions Ugo has already made to me. :D
    I especially like how he has been pretty frank about what will and will not work for me.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    How am I doing Ugo?
    All too well, I am going to do a bit of reading and decide,based on the suggestions Ugo has already made to me. :D
    I especially like how he has been pretty frank about what will and will not work for me.

Of course I could just forward you the recommendations he made to me after much discussion.......
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Of course I could just forward you the recommendations he made to me after much discussion.......

And where would be the fun in that?