Elixir 3 reach adjustment

MonkFunk
MonkFunk Posts: 91
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Just looking for some clarification on reach adjustment for Avid Elixir 3 brakes.

I have been adjusting my cockpit setup to try to get a better position for one-finger braking. I have tried to adjust the reach so that the starting position of the lever is closer to the bars. However turning the allen screw, even all the way in, seems to have had no perceptible difference to the lever start position. However it has had a very noticable effect on the amount of lever travel before the bite point. With the screw turned fully in but then backed off a bit, the brakes are now much sharper with less "dead" travel before the bite which is good, but the overall start position of the lever still seems slightly too far away from the bars.

Is this normal or is there something I am not doing correctly?

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Thats odd. Base level elixirs dont have bite point adjustment, only reach! You have to go to the 9 before you get both. What year are they?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Not sure of the year but looks like this....

Elixir3_Lever_aufm.jpg

I've got it as stock on both of my bikes (Rockrider 8.1 and Vitus Blitz 1) and this happens on both of them!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you are aturning the correct allen screw?
    However turning the allen screw, even all the way in
    should move the lever away from the bar. and will (can) reduce the pad to rotor distance with will sharpen up the brakes.

http://www.sram.com/avid/setup-guides/h ... rake-setup
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Hi Nick,

I downloaded the user guide below and I am turning the allen screw in picture 5.

http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/ywjNW ... ixir_1.pdf

I assumed turning it in would move the lever closer. I guess I'll try turning it out fully the other way and see what happens. It's shame though if this then brings back the dead lever travel as I like the feel much better! Not sure which is going to be worse actually, having the lever slightly too far away but feeling sharper, or having it closer but loose?!
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Its going to be worse for arm pump if you have a sharp feel further away, as your fingers will be further extended when braking.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick wrote:
    Its going to be worse for arm pump if you have a sharp feel further away, as your fingers will be further extended when braking.

Good point. I'll give it a go the other way.

Cheers