Pedalling styles

2»

Comments

• DavidJB wrote:
    Dont waste your time pulling up.
    Would you mind elaborating a little?

Why is it a waste of time? Or is it just that it's not sustainable?
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    DavidJB wrote:
    Dont waste your time pulling up.
    Would you mind elaborating a little?

Why is it a waste of time? Or is it just that it's not sustainable?

Its against your natural instinct to pull up. I would say from pulling up you'll probably not get a smooth top end of your pedal stroke which will compromise the rest of the stroke. Concentrate on driving through the top of the stroke, down through tot he bottom and pulling back like you're wiping your feet. Pulling up gains you very little, fatigues you a lot and destabilises the rest of your stroke.

It will take a while to get it and is quite hard to explain, every few rides spend 5 minutes every 30 minutes really concentrating on doing this and after a while it will become second nature BUT you'll need to continue doing it throughout your cycling career or you'll forget how to pedal.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    keef66 wrote:
    Pulling up on the pedals doesn't really help much; the muscles involved tire quickly. What cleats do help with is pedalling smoothly in circles rather than just stamping on the downstroke.

Surely pedaling in circles involves working through the whole pedal stroke? That would mean you are also pulling the pedal on the way up.

Or why bother with cleats or clips? Use flat pedals.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    There was some scientific research done recently that suggested that pulling on the upstroke didn't add much power - but pulling through at the bottom of the stroke definitely helps - think scraping dog-poo off your shoe!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Only time I ever pull up is if I'm riding a steep hill on fixed with a cadence <30rpm. Then you have no choice. For normal riding it's really quite a silly thing to start trying to do.
    More problems but still living....
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Here's a little video of my TT bike fit yesterday, before and after comparison. I think it demonstrates the 'wiping dog poo off the shoe' style mentioned above! By the way, the right hand video is after and I know the cadence is higher in that one!

http://ubersense.com/video/view/fzAxtR7q/peter-smith-bike-fitting

PP
  • Pilot Pete wrote:
    By the way, the right hand video is after and I know the cadence is higher in that one!
    You now have a laminar flow back!!
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • I received an e-mail recently offering pedal stroke analysis with claims of 10% improvement in power. I'd be curious to know if anyone had tried this and what the results were?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Had a quick go on a Wattbike at the Cycle Show. Apparently my pedalling is pretty much optimal already. Unlike my son who was very stompy :D
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    My only road bike at the moment is a fixed running a 52 on the front and a 16 on the back or something like that so I do tend to mash a bit up steep hills and I do tend to pull up with my legs on short sharp hills.

Maybe it's less efficient as people generally just don't use the muscles for pulling up, if you were to do it all the time it might solve that. I've found it very hard to do the "Pedaling in circles" thing, I've found if I try it I seem to end up concentrating on one leg rather than both which is annoying, it's hard to get my brain round it!

Is it generally considered better to climb sitting down now? Seems like more riders tend to sit down rather than the Contador style dancing on the pedals.
  • rather off topic but what changes did you make in your position to change the shape of your back like that?