Headset Concept Feedback

paddy316
paddy316 Posts: 3
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
Hi, I am a student from Nottingham University.

I am designing a hands free headset for taking phone calls which can be worn while cycling.

I have done some concept sketches and I need to get some feedback from cycling enthusiasts. I would really appreciate if you could take a few minutes to look at the images below and answer a few questions about them. It won't take long I promise.

(Concept B and C look very similar but they are not)

Concept Images:
Concept A - http://postimage.org/image/x2y0qdusz/
Concept B - http://postimage.org/image/461got0jr/
Concept C - http://postimage.org/image/svualn5s5/

The questionnaire (there are only 4 questions):
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/LB72WYQ

A massive thank you in advanced!

Comments

• cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Congratulations on trying to kill more of us.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    The whole concept is flawed - phoning whilst cycling is silly.....
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,960
    I've done the survey. I don't think you'll get much positive feedback to be honest, but I'll try to be constructive at least.

Cyclists are split on whether its safe to listen to the radio or music when cycling. However talking on the phone is so much more involved I doubt you'd find anyone who approves. A multi-sport multi use sort of device, for hiking, running, the gym etc. might have more promise. Although you should be aware that it has been tried before.

Can I make a suggestion? For your design project, chose something closer to home, something related to a hobby or passtime you do, or somethign you or someone you know cares about. Your OP suggests that you aren't a cyclist and I think it shows. I see quite a few of these sort of design things through the year from engineering design departments. The best projects solve an actual problem and the designers tend to have some enthusiasm and motivation for solving it before they start, rather than having plucked an idea from the ether.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    I'd struggle to concentrate on a phone conversation whilst riding, at least in a busy urban environment - I have enough trouble sharing the odd word with other cyclists while on the move. That said, I do see plenty wobbling along using the standard earphone/mic kit that came with their phone, or even just holding the phone to their ear whilst cycling - generally they are moving pretty slowly, but there is the odd person doing the "talking to themself' thing at 15mph.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    on a design thought where is the head retention system? in the helmet design. i see lots of interference issues. and conflict between straps and unit.

as to the idea no comment.

i stop to take calls. or ignore them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I ride with my iPhone headphones, with music. I occasionally take calls, though normally on weekend rides when I'm not in London traffic. TBH the iPhone headphones and mic work very well for this. Not sure there's a need for a dedicated device.
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    I thought this was about the headset that holds your forks on and thought "Just what we need, yet another headset standard!" but this is even worse, please can the idea and come up with something that isn't so dangerous.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I ride with my iPhone headphones, with music. I occasionally take calls, though normally on weekend rides when I'm not in London traffic. TBH the iPhone headphones and mic work very well for this. Not sure there's a need for a dedicated device.

+1, I think its pretty overengineered.

Might be worth looking at something similar for motorbike helmets or even for skisport. Quite a few people use walkie talkies when out and about on the piste, something like this would be pretty cool at the right pricepoint.
  • rjsterry

Don't you (or rather the person you are talking to) get a lot of wind noise?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    rjsterry wrote:

No, the noise cancelling seems to work very well.
  • Hi,

Thanks everyone for your feedback, it has been appreciated.

I commute to university everyday by bike, I love to cycle.

I think it would be silly to think you are not putting yourself more at risk by listening to music or taking a phone call while cycling but I also think it would be silly to think that this doesn't happen.

This is more significant considering headphone design today is aimed towards cancelling out the sounds of your environment and becoming more immersive.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    rjsterry wrote:

No, the noise cancelling seems to work very well.

You did well; my JawBone with patented "noise-ninja" cancellation feature was cr@p at anything over walking speed or more than breezy conditions, such that I now follow NickLouse's view.
  • rjsterry
    paddy316 wrote:
    Hi,

Thanks everyone for your feedback, it has been appreciated.

I commute to university everyday by bike, I love to cycle.

I think it would be silly to think you are not putting yourself more at risk by listening to music or taking a phone call while cycling but I also think it would be silly to think that this doesn't happen.

This is more significant considering headphone design today is aimed towards cancelling out the sounds of your environment and becoming more immersive.

I'm pretty sure there are sports-specific headphones designed not to exclude outside noise, so that you can still hear what's going on around you. Must need to crank the volume up to compensate, though.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    rjsterry wrote:
    I'm pretty sure there are sports-specific headphones designed not to exclude outside noise, so that you can still hear what's going on around you. Must need to crank the volume up to compensate, though.
    Or just get open backed headphones. The ones I wear don't exclude outside noise at all. Ironically, I can hear fellow cyclists muttering disapprovingly about them when stopped at traffic lights.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    I thought this was about the headset that holds your forks on and thought "Just what we need, yet another headset standard!" but this is even worse, please can the idea and come up with something that isn't so dangerous.
    So did I at first. Why don't they use taper roller bearings in bicycle headsets?
  • rjsterry
    Veronese68 wrote:
    So did I at first. Why don't they use taper roller bearings in bicycle headsets?

They do in some of them I think. Quite hard to manufacture that small though compared with plain balls.

Ahem.

http://www.sicklines.com/2008/01/15/syncros-fbi-15-reducing-headset/
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    Well spotted RJS. Makes sense when you think about it. Stronger, but heavy so good for downhill MTB. Not much need in most bikes as there isn't the stress.