Larger frame shorter stem or smaller frame longer stem

Mark__gti
Mark__gti Posts: 177
edited October 2012 in Road buying advice
So im just under 5ft7 with a 30.5" inside leg,
i currantly ride a 52cm allez which has a 90mm stem but it feels abit to short, i run a 110mm stem which felt better.
Im in the market for a genesis equilibrium and test rode a 54cm one today which had a 110mm stem, i think if i swapped the stem for a 100mm one it would feel fine.
Or would i be better getting the 52cm frame and having a 110mm stem and obviously show a little more seatpost.
If it makes any difference the main use of the bike is for commuting 16miles a day 3-4 times a week

Comments

• pheez
    pheez Posts: 8
    Personally I would go with the smaller frame.

Im a similar height and would get a 52cm. Reasons being I feel it would handle better and it would be a tad lighter.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    smaller frame is better - use the seatpost length and the longer stem to optimise fit.
  • Unless there are issues like toe overlap that you can't live with I'd go for the smaller frame.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I read somewhere that if your armspan (finger to finger with arms outstretched to the side) is greater than your height then size up, if the inverse is true then size down.

Sounds like it could go either way. That said I'd 'guess' 52cm frame from the info. given.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I'd go with a smaller frame, unless (a) the stem needs to be more than130mm or (b) the saddle to bar drop height is too much.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Always smaller frame with a shorter stem for a road bike.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg