Apocalypse, Derren Brown

jim453
jim453 Posts: 1,360
edited November 2012 in The cake stop
Apologies if already covered.

Anyone see this?

Assumed it would be sh@t, myself but found it oddly compelling.

Does anyone suspect it's a set up 'set up' so to speak. I only wonder this because surely there is a very real possibility that the main protaganist 'Steve' may actuall suffer some type of PTSD and be able to sue Brown/Channel 4.

How have they covered this eventuality?

Comments

• t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    By using an actor.
  • jim453
    By using an actor.

So you suspect it's a total set up?

I must admit, I'm not sure. But what's the point?
  • jim453
    already been exposed he was an actor...

How disappointing. Link?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Well its the Daily Mail for a start...
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    I watched it. I was immediatley suspicious. The dialogue seems very contrite and scripted.

I find it hard to believe that if it were real, he wouldnt get immediately suspocious either. I mean, that ex-weapons base has been used in alot of TV shows in the past and is pretty recognisable. The first zombie, wasn't that a reasonably well-known actor? (Brian from Spaced?)

If it were real, as you say, what would happen if he gets post traumatic stress? What would happen if he raped or killed one of the actors while under 'hypnosis'. What would happen if he topped himself? All seems a bit 'hmmmm'.
  • Yeah couldn't help think there's a few porkies going on there.

Then again how do any of us know how someone 'should' act in that situation?
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170
    There was so much in this that suggested it was the viewer that was being set up, right from the beginning, definitely fake.
    Mañana
  • jim453
    pb21 wrote:
    There was so much in this that suggested it was the viewer that was being set up, right from the beginning, definitely fake.

I'm more and more inclined to agree with you.

However, what I don't understand is why Brown would do this, surely it's incredibly damaging to his 'brand'. I won't be believing anything that he does in the future if this is a hoax.

Is all his stuff just set up??

I don't know why I even care really.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170
    What Derren Brown does is fool people normally very, very well. Someone is always being ‘set up’ and I reckon a lot of people are being fooled watching this.

It seems like, based on this ‘stunt’ and the lottery one, he is moving away from trying to fool one person at a time, to fooling a much larger audience in one go.
    Mañana
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Enigma and Svengali his stage shows were incredible,real or not he is a brilliant entertainer live,but there is clearly creative licence used in Apocalypse/Lottery/plane crash and russian rouletteI

have to admit I am a fan,but remain a skeptic.
  • ceeque
    ceeque Posts: 52
    am simply mortified that anyone would believe any of this to be "real" or not "contrived" ... Mr. Brown is simply an entertainer and as been shown before (particularly the "bullet-catching" trick on the Isle of Man) (think it was there..). Everything he does is a setup as pretty obviously, if it were`nt, he would be open to a pile of trouble in alot of cases. Its all magic baby!
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    I often wonder if there's some sort of agreement when TV shows put cameras in peoples houses, that footage of the subject having an afternoon w*nk to Loose Women will be immediately destroyed ..
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    b...b....but, tele's real. It just has to be..... :shock:
    dw300 wrote:
    I often wonder if there's some sort of agreement when TV shows put cameras in peoples houses, that footage of the subject having an afternoon w*nk to Loose Women will be immediately destroyed ..

Or get's emailed round and round TV production companies.
  • jim453
    Well, I've just watched the second and concluding part.

To be honest, I'm not sure if it was a set up or not.

Pretty exciting idea though.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Well Apparently my cousin is in one of the episodes and she is......an actress.....

But she swears blind that it was something to do with having people that are performers already and thus OK with being on TV or something, i did nt understand. She was hypnotised she said...

It's not on in Russia so i can't see it
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • jim453
    ddraver wrote:
    Well Apparently my cousin is in one of the episodes and she is......an actress.....

But she swears blind that it was something to do with having people that are performers already and thus OK with being on TV or something, i did nt understand. She was hypnotised she said...

It's not on in Russia so i can't see it

Well, clearly, you would expect many of the participants to be actors/actresses. It is only our protagonist that needs to not be acting.

Presumably, you would not be too surprised that the zombies were acting?
  • ddraver
    As I said, I'm In Russia - I have nt seen it....(thought "It's not on in Russia so i can't see it" was pretty clear to be honest). She was "put under his voodoo" was all she says
    - @ddraver
  • jim453
    You don't need to have seen it to understand that the only individual who needs to be in the dark is the main guy.

You only have to understand the most basic premise of the programme - which you obviously do not. Strange really, given the links already posted in this thread and the self evident fact that you have access to the internet.

One wonders why you would be commenting on something you understand nothing about. Although to be fair, this forum wouldn't last ten seconds if we all adhered to that rule.
  • ddraver
    Again, I don't think I could have been more clear about the lack of having seen it.

However how many people here have cousins that have appeared in it?

miIthankyow...
    - @ddraver
  • jim453
    Again, I could hardly have been more clear about the fact that you absolutely did not need to see the show to be able to understand the issues.

We appear to have reached something of an impasse.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I enjpoyed it. I thought the protagonist was going to collapse with all of that hyperventilating. I'm pretty sure he was 100% convinced it was for real.
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    LOL .. raver, shut your mouth for 2 seconds and listen ..

Only ONE guy on the show was 'hypnotised' .. your cousin is talking sh*t to you.

There is no reason anyone else would be. Unless he hypnotised her for some reason outside of the broadcast .. "Put under his voodoo" could be a euphemism .. :p
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • It did seem odd that he didn't ask any questions. It'd been two weeks between the meteor shower and him coming round in a hospital. Food in the room was in a mouldy state indicating he'd been alone for some time yet he never questioned the fact that he was not on an IV, had no stubble nor had he fouled himself in that time.

Also, if it were 'real' then what was c4's plan in the event that he armed himself and defended himself against the infected? Personally my first actions would have been to secure mymimmediate environment and source water, warmth and a weapon so what would they have done if he'd clubbed a 'zombie' to death?

As a piece of tv I enjoyed it and it caused a few discussions but feel it created a lot of sceptical questions as well
  • jim453
    gavbarron wrote:
    It did seem odd that he didn't ask any questions. It'd been two weeks between the meteor shower and him coming round in a hospital. Food in the room was in a mouldy state indicating he'd been alone for some time yet he never questioned the fact that he was not on an IV, had no stubble nor had he fouled himself in that time.

Also, if it were 'real' then what was c4's plan in the event that he armed himself and defended himself against the infected? Personally my first actions would have been to secure mymimmediate environment and source water, warmth and a weapon so what would they have done if he'd clubbed a 'zombie' to death?

As a piece of tv I enjoyed it and it caused a few discussions but feel it created a lot of sceptical questions as well

At last. A reasoned response. I totally agree.

Perhaps the reason why the Russian idiot's sister was hypnotised is so that she would agree to clean the sh@t out of our protagonists pants and keep him cleanly shaven during the two week hiatus between us seeing him go under and come around again.

So, an interesting programme but totally made up bullsh@t none the less.

Glad that was sorted out.

Next.
  • ddraver
    handbags.jpg
    - @ddraver
  • jim453
    ddraver wrote:
    handbags.jpg

You and your sister?

From the looks of things, Brown needn't have bothered hipnotising her - she looks like she'd have discharged her duties willingly and without question.
  • ddraver
    Man you re up early for such histrionics...
    - @ddraver