Trail bike to add to my collection (recommendations welcome)

wilbo83
wilbo83 Posts: 90
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Currently have a Giant Defy for the road and a Scott Scale which is used either on road or fairly tame singletrack. I would like to get something a bit more aggressive for riding trails although it has been a while since I have looked in for something like this.

Budget is to be on the smaller side of £1k. Was initially looking for a FS but there isnt a lot within budget apart from the Rockrider 9.1.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• How much travel you wanting?
    What sort of trails/terrain?
  • wilbo83
    edited October 2012
    How much travel you wanting?
    What sort of trails/terrain?
    Minimum of 100mm. Swinley forest is on my doorstep so main use will be around there, fairly technical with a slight emphasis to downhill rather than climbing, got the Scale for long country rides with climbs. I keep thinking that an AM style full susser would tick the box but budget is fairly restricted to £1k, however I do like riding HT so would be good to get something that likes being chucked about but is still light and nimble.. :?

Something like this seems to fit the bill..
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=78088
  • The Northern Monkey
    The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
    edited October 2012
    I used to ride Swinley when i was in Uni... so it depends what you want really..

A nice 140-150mm hardtail would be my choice.

Tis a shame the 456 Carbon is just out of budget..
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FBOOC456V2/ ... _bike_2013

Depends if you want to go the XC side of fun or the fun side of fun.
  • probably better looking at a 2nd hand one if you're wanting a decent AM style bike. There are a few in the FS section at present (seen a lappy in there but not sure how much it was).
  • wilbo83
    I used to ride Swinley when i was in Uni... so it depends what you want really..

A nice 140-150mm hardtail would be my choice.

Tis a shame the 456 Carbon is just out of budget..
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FBOOC456V2/ ... _bike_2013

Depends if you want to go the XC side of fun or the fun side of fun.
    Definitely the fun side, then I can shed weight on the Scale for it to be the light XC machine. Are On-One bikes direct sell only? The Inbred looks pretty decent and in budget, also checking out Ragley bikes. Most of the main brands (Giant, Cannondale, Scott) 2013 bikes seem to bel focusing on XC bikes rather than rugged hardtails, guess they want people to trade up to full suspension.
  • Yeah on-one are direct only.

Inbred is a heavy steel XC hardtail..
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Not quite 150mm, but a versatile and tough machine:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gt-sensor-3-2012/

And look at the price!
  • Thats a bargain!
  • supersonic
    I know, I am having to stop myself buying it!
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    NOt that much of a bargain.... under 50% off, and it was a total rip off at RRP.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    150mm is overkill for Swinley. 100-120mm is more than enough.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • wilbo83
    benpinnick wrote:
    NOt that much of a bargain.... under 50% off, and it was a total rip off at RRP.
    Plus IMO that frame wont win any design awards, looks pretty ugly.
  • supersonic
    benpinnick wrote:

No, wasn't worth RRP, but still a bargain! Hard to get decent frames for this price, never mind a whole bike.
  • supersonic
    wilbo83 wrote:
    benpinnick wrote:

Do you want a frame that works or looks good?! The ID system has won many awards lol. I can't advise you on looks, but can point you in the direction of good machines for your budget. You won't find better than this.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    supersonic wrote:
    wilbo83 wrote:
    benpinnick wrote:

Do you want a frame that works or looks good?! The ID system has won many awards lol. I can't advise you on looks, but can point you in the direction of good machines for your budget. You won't find better than this.

You got those GT specs on again? At that price its only marginally better value than a Rockrider 9.1 at £799. In fact, depending on whether you prefer SRAM/RS over Shimano/Marz then you might even go with the RR as better value. The RR obviously being full price, not discounted.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • supersonic
    The RR might be better value to some, but that doesn't mean the GT is poor value! It is a quality frame with some decent parts. For £760 is a steal. The RRP doesn't come into it at all.
  • wilbo83
    benpinnick wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    wilbo83 wrote:
    benpinnick wrote:

You got those GT specs on again? At that price its only marginally better value than a Rockrider 9.1 at £799. In fact, depending on whether you prefer SRAM/RS over Shimano/Marz then you might even go with the RR as better value. The RR obviously being full price, not discounted.
    Agree that a frame that works is a high priority but would be nice if its aesthetically pleasing too. The Rockrider 9.1 mentioned above, would this be suitable? It looks to be a very good buy for the money.
  • supersonic
    Both are extremely good for the cash, but personally I'd take the GT as the fork is superior, and I think the Idrive platform is a better performer too.