Which full suspension bike for around £1500?

thegreatsoprendo
thegreatsoprendo Posts: 52
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
So, after donkeys years riding hard tails and the last 2.5 years on my Boardman HT pro, I feel the need for a full suspension bike. I notice that the trail centres in South Wales are getting rockier and bumpier (or maybe it's just my bones getting older :P ) so it can get pretty hairy at speed on the HT now and again.

Budget is around £1500, and I like the look of these so far:

Norco Sight 3
http://ftp.evanscycles.com/products/nor ... e-ec031661

Norco Sight 3 SE
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/nor ... e-ec036902

Canyon Nerve AL+ 6.0
http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes ... ab-reiter2

The only difference between the 2 Norco's seems to be the fork. Is it worth the extra £300?

Any opinions on the above welcomed and also any other options I should be considering?

:D

Comments

• wilbo83
    wilbo83 Posts: 90
    From reviews I have read, the Canyon will be hard to beat for that budget. Others worth looking at would be the Giant Trance or Trek Fuel.
  • Thanks fellas. Does anyone have any thoughts on the Fox 32 Evo on the Sight 2 SE vs the Rockshox Sektor dual position coil on the standard Sight 2, and whether the former is worth the £300 premium over the former?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I would take the Sektor over the Fox 32. More reliable and less maintenance and I prefer the way Rockshox forks ride.
    Have a look at the Giant Trance, not as good value as the Canyon but a really great ride. I had one & I'm looking for another one now
  • I would take the Air FOX fork over the Coil RockShox.
    I agree with the earlier statement. I also prefer how RockShox forks ride over FOX, but i prefer more the ride and adjustability of an Air fork provides over a Coil fork.

In terms of bikes, imo the Canyon is the best bike from your choice of three.

The earlier suggestions of Giant Trance and Trek Fuel are also good suggestions. Depending on how gnarly your riding is the Trance might be too little a travel bike. The Fuel is a direct competitor for the Trance but its built burlier and has a little more travel if you plan on hitting things harder.

If your planning on aggressive riding the 150 AL+ Nerve will suit you best.
    If your planning on more XC orientated riding i'd take the Fuel.
    Personally i dont like the spec or look of the Norco's even tho they get good reviews, i've never ridden one to try it however.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b4s1p3506

its 100quid over budget but a very nice looking bike for the cash...
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b4s1p4432

again a very nice bike for the money
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    I'd say the Trance performs much more like a longer travel bike though - it can handle a lot more than its 125mm travel suggests, and will take a 140mm fork for bigger stuff. Good bikes.

Canyon is top value for money though, which is where I'd probably go if buying new.
  • rockmonkeysc
    EH_Rob wrote:
    I'd say the Trance performs much more like a longer travel bike though - it can handle a lot more than its 125mm travel suggests, and will take a 140mm fork for bigger stuff. Good bikes.

I agree with that. The Trance will take some seriously hard riding and responds well to it. My old Trance went off 6'+ drops and took a good beating. As standard the bars are too narrow & the stem is too long. A short stem and wide bars transform the handling.
    I'm going to build one up using my 110mm - 140mm Rockshox Pikes, should be even better than my old one.
  • Lbs has got a 2012 trek ex fuel 9.7 for 1500 from 3000, just some light cosmetic scratches apparently.

Big bear bikes in Pickering
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    EH_Rob wrote:

I agree with that. The Trance will take some seriously hard riding and responds well to it. My old Trance went off 6'+ drops and took a good beating. As standard the bars are too narrow & the stem is too long. A short stem and wide bars transform the handling.
    I'm going to build one up using my 110mm - 140mm Rockshox Pikes, should be even better than my old one.

They'll be perfect for it, won't compromise the climbing ability at all either. If I could have got one for a decent price when buying a second hand FS last month I would have done.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Lbs has got a 2012 trek ex fuel 9.7 for 1500 from 3000, just some light cosmetic scratches apparently.

Big bear bikes in Pickering

Thats a bargain. I don't like the rear suspesnion on the Trek but can't argue with that sort of value.