Dropper post Questions

AngusChild
AngusChild Posts: 60
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
I have a question about a dropper post. I particularly like reverbs, but there is however, a hinderance. My frame has a stupid seat tube size of 30.4, which means I am limited to the 27.2 versions. My favourite of these is the KS supernatural 272, but at 350mm it is too short for me (I ride with a 400mm). I am a fan of the x fusion Hilo, but I am unsure of the quality of construction, and I have heard rumors that the stantion is made of steel. Can any current owners of the Hilo (2012) confirm or deny any of this- will it break and rust or be a goo investment?
Angus

One more point, might my frame be able to use a 30.9 post?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    x-fusion kit is pretty good quality. Not sure about the hilo in particular but their forks & shock are well made.
    The Reverb seems to be very un-reliable, everyone I know who has one has had to have it replaced under warranty, one lad is on his fourth!
    If your frame is 30.4 you won't be able to squeeze in a post which is 0.5mm oversize.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    x-fusion kit is pretty good quality. Not sure about the hilo in particular but their forks & shock are well made.
    The Reverb seems to be very un-reliable, everyone I know who has one has had to have it replaced under warranty, one lad is on his fourth!
    If your frame is 30.4 you won't be able to squeeze in a post which is 0.5mm oversize.

He`s already ruled out the Reverb on size.

Gravity Dropper do a vast array of sizes although your 30.4 would still be a shim up from 27.2. They do however doa multi stage 5 inch drop on a 425mm post http://gravitydropper.com/gravity-dropper-turbo/. Pig ugly but most people have told me they are reliable.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • paul.skibum
    Just had a thought - when you say you run a 400mm post already, you appreciate that when the dropper says it has a 350mm post that is the bit with all the gubbins in right? The extendy bit on top is in addition so a 350mm with 4 inch drop (pick a god damn measurement!) is actually 450mm long give or take?

ie if you currently run 400mm with 200mm in the frame you need to find space in the frame for 250mm of the new 350mm post to get the saddle to the same max height as you currently have it, then drop it from there with the magic lever.

At least that is how I have been working out which post I need.
  • My main thought is if any current HiLo owners can tell me if the partial steel construction of the post causes any problems such as rust during long term use.
  • sandy771
    sandy771 Posts: 368

The is at disagreement with my experience, I have had one for a year and it ha sbeen fault free - the gang I ride with probably have about8 of them between us and i have not heard anyone complain. ISTR that all the comments I have read re reverbs on here have been positive (but I haven't read all of the reverb threads)
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Just had a thought - when you say you run a 400mm post already, you appreciate that when the dropper says it has a 350mm post that is the bit with all the gubbins in right? The extendy bit on top is in addition so a 350mm with 4 inch drop (pick a god damn measurement!) is actually 450mm long give or take?

ie if you currently run 400mm with 200mm in the frame you need to find space in the frame for 250mm of the new 350mm post to get the saddle to the same max height as you currently have it, then drop it from there with the magic lever.

Eh? Unless some manufacturers are doing this and I haven't noticed, I don't think that's quite right. A 400mm Reverb is the same length extended as any non-dropper 400mm post. The same (should) go for any other dropper post. It certainly did when I researched buying mine (a Gravity Dropper, which I can heartily recommend btw).
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255

The 400mm/350mm etc dim is the entire length. I had a 425 mm with 125 drop, and it certainly wasn't 650mm long.

Back to OP, ream the seat tube out to 30.9 (assuming your POST DIA is 30.4mm) ? I've read threads on here before which state some manufacturers even do this. (Not condoning this of course, but may be an option. Speak to the frame manufacturer or LBS maybe? )

What is the frame btw? Sure its defo 30.4mm seat post dia? Seat tube (which you state) dia is a completely different measurement, ie the outside of the seat tube and you'd be left using the 30.4 with a shim.
  • The bike is:
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12845605
    No idea what it is, but I use a brand x 400mm 30.4 post.
    how hard would it be to expand it to 30.9?
  • paul.skibum
    [quote="DodgeTThe 400mm/350mm etc dim is the entire length. I had a 425 mm with 125 drop, and it certainly wasn't 650mm long.

[/quote]

Oh right - my mistake, I was reading some other post and assumed that was the way they worked - I did think it made it hard to fit them on some frames! By the way Dodge - 425 plus 125 would be 550 not 650. Just sayin'!
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Oops, but I did say it certainly wasn't :) Would be like a bloody walking stick seat thing at 650mm long wouldn't it !!