Stans No Tubes rims to Tubless

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,388
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Evening all...

I ve just got some new Wheels with Stans Rims, I was expecting them to have sealed spoke beds so you could just put a tyre on and go tubless but I was wrong. I ve tried their website but it's not too helpful!

I think I need the Yellow tape and then it will work with a normal tubeless tyre, is that right? If I wanted to use a normal tyre I'd have to use the yellow tape, the rubber strip and the sealant.

Is that about right?

Thanks!
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• For running tubeless with any tyre, all that is needed is the correct size of yellow tape and a valve stem.
    For non tubeless tyres, sealant is required but not a rim strip.
    The size for tape I think is 21mm for all except flow which uses 25mm or the flow rim strip
    The rim strips are for non tubeless rim conversions whereas Stans rims can be done with the yellow tape only,
    Personally I found the website pretty helpful when I last used it.
  • ddraver
    Much Obliged Sharky - seems it was more helpful than I gave it credit for!
    - @ddraver
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Tubeless ready tyres require sealant - UST does not.
  • ddraver
    Ummm, Are Most Maxxis tyres tubeless ready by default now..?
    - @ddraver
  • bobgfish
    bobgfish Posts: 545
    That would be a no. The Maxxis ones have UST written on them. In practice any tyre will work with sealant. Some better than others. Not had any issues with Crossmark. Also used Aspen and Monorail of which one used to blow completely off the rim with to much pressure. Hag them fitted on Stan rims as well. I returned whichever tyre blow of the rim twice and never had it happen again.
  • ddraver
    UST is tubeless, I don't remember seeing any tyres with "tubeless ready" written on, I'm assuming that the majority of MTB tyres are now "tubeless ready" by default
    - @ddraver
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    You should really always use sealant even if running a true UST setup otherwise you're only getting half the benefit (being able to run lower pressures), for me the lack of punctures is the reason for going tubeless.
    Also plenty of tyres are just tubeless ready and not UST but different manufacturers label them differently, I'd say the majority of tyres still aren't tubeless ready although many can still be run tubeless (it's just tubeless ready ones definitely can, will seal better, won't blow off the rim as easily as some normal tyres will and will likely have reinforced sidewalls).