What tyres

giveit2papalaz
giveit2papalaz Posts: 8
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all.. Ive been riding my new rr 8.1 for a few weeks now and have come to the conclusion that the stock michelin country trail tyres are pretty poor in the wet and mud. What tyres do you recommend for muddy and wet trails? Thanks in advance..

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Round rubbery ones.

Trawl through and you'll find as many opinions as tyres.
    What is your budget?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • widge34
    widge34 Posts: 900
    There will be a lot of different opinions on this. For me it's Specialized Storms. Others will recommend Bontragers Mud X, Maxxis Swampthings. There are dedicated mud tyres such as Panaracer Trailraker, brilliant in pure slop, but not great on roots and rocks.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    edited October 2012
    widge34 wrote:
    There will be a lot of different opinions on this. For me it's Specialized Storms. Others will recommend Bontragers Mud X, Maxxis Swampthings. There are dedicated mud tyres such as Panaracer Trailraker, brilliant in pure slop, but not great on roots and rocks.

That.

I am a MudX person. The whole of our Tuesday night crowd seem pretty evenly split between MudX and Trailrakers, both work very well indeed on the chalky, rooty, muddy shite that we have around here. MudX seem to have the better rolling on other surfaces.

EDIT: the MudX now masquerades as the XR Mud Team!!! (Oh, and they're tubeless ready if you fancy trying it!)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • I was recommended Bontranger Mud X's last year at Winter and they did me just fine but that's the only experience with mud tires I've had so I'm not saying they're better or worse than any others. Most companies do a 'mud' tire and you'll probably get recommendations for each of them. One thing to keep in mind is that slightly lower tire pressures helps with grip in muddy and wet situations and also it takes a different style of riding to carry speed and ride smoothly in the mud or wet (I'm not a wet weather master by any means but I'm aware that just like driving etc there are different techniques for wet and dry conditions).
  • cooldad
    Unless it's all thick mud, dedicated mud tyres are pointless.
    Try this
    viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12885963
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Try this

I ran the Mud Xs all Winter and they were good for all conditions. Depends if you can be arsed to change tires before riding (which I can't).
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Bont XR4s or Conti Barons
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:
    Try this

I ran the Mud Xs all Winter and they were good for all conditions. Depends if you can be arsed to change tires before riding (which I can't).
    Yeah but Mud X's are a lot less extreme than something like Swampthings
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Which is why they are so much more rideable.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • widge34
    widge34 Posts: 900
    benpinnick wrote:
    Bont XR4s or Conti Barons

I ride with a Conti Baron black Chili on front with the Spesh storm on rear. Then in the drier months Conti Mountain King IIs Black Chili protection.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013