Winter Boots vs Overshoes

Cubic
Cubic Posts: 594
edited October 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I've been using neoprene overshoes for the last couple of winters and while they're ok, I still get numb toes on long rides in the depths of winter, even when paired with woolie socks. I was wondering if a pair of winter boots like these might be a better option.

Has anyone tried both and would you recommend winter boots over overshoes, or is there not much difference?

I probably won't use them in heavy rain, so it's primarily the thermal benefits I'm interested in.

Thanks.

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Toe covers and then overshoes - much cheaper.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • beams87
    beams87 Posts: 151
    Cubic wrote:
    Hi,

I've been using neoprene overshoes for the last couple of winters and while they're ok, I still get numb toes on long rides in the depths of winter, even when paired with woolie socks. I was wondering if a pair of winter boots like these might be a better option.

Has anyone tried both and would you recommend winter boots over overshoes, or is there not much difference?

I probably won't use them in heavy rain, so it's primarily the thermal benefits I'm interested in.

Thanks.

How woolly are your socks?

Thick wool is a false economy, as you need to be able to wiggle your toes to get circulation going. Numbness is also a symptom of your shoes being too tightly strapped on.

I have just brought from Planet X (£5.99 - http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CLS ... wool_socks) some Merino Wool socks, and simple overshoes. The combination of the two is excellent – the socks retail heat very well and slightly compress your feet, but are not too tight in the shoe, and the overshoes keep all but the most persistant of puddles out. If you are still cold, don’t bother with "toe covers", some black electrical (or matching colour) tape does the trick remarkably well.
    "A beaten path is for beaten men"
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    Wool socks, northwave gtx boots one size up and pro waterproof overshoes equals toasty feet all winter!
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Decent socks, one size larger than normal winter boots and oversocks for me ....
  • Cubic
    Cubic Posts: 594

I use Defeet Woolie Boolie socks, which are highly rated for cycling, so I don't think they're a problem. I also loosen my shoe straps to make sure my toes aren't squashed. I think I'm just a delicate type, susceptible to the cold!

I hadn't thought about using toe covers or taping the front of my overshoes, but they seem like good options to try first. I'd be a little worried that the cleat area of the shoe could get too bulky with toe covers and overshoes, but it must be ok if it's commonly done.

pkripper: Wool socks, boots and overshoes does sound warm, if a little overkill! :wink: It sounds like your Northwave boots aren't that warm if you need overshoes too though?
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    For warmth, I'm a big, no massive fan of my Northwave Artic boots. They'll keep my feet toasty long after my face has given up the ghost. Just add some decent merino socks.

Overshoes are okay in wet weather, as overshoes+shoes are a tad lighter than boots, so nicer to ride. But in the cold, boots all the way.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Cubic wrote:
    pkripper: Wool socks, boots and overshoes does sound warm, if a little overkill! :wink:

Really? That combination doesn't guarantee me warm feet by any stretch of the imagination.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    Cubic wrote:

I use Defeet Woolie Boolie socks, which are highly rated for cycling, so I don't think they're a problem. I also loosen my shoe straps to make sure my toes aren't squashed. I think I'm just a delicate type, susceptible to the cold!

I hadn't thought about using toe covers or taping the front of my overshoes, but they seem like good options to try first. I'd be a little worried that the cleat area of the shoe could get too bulky with toe covers and overshoes, but it must be ok if it's commonly done.

pkripper: Wool socks, boots and overshoes does sound warm, if a little overkill! :wink: It sounds like your Northwave boots aren't that warm if you need overshoes too though?

If it means I can get out in the really cold and dry days its worth it. Toasty feet are good, and I'd rather overkill than blue toes!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I still use overshoes over winter boots for when it's filthy because you need something to stop the water running down your shins and soaking your feet.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I just swap to my MTB shoes in winter = theyre stouter than my road shoes, and bung the overshoes over. Definitely dont cramp out your toes though - wiggling is good.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    After losing feeling in my feet 20 miles in to the 100 mile Beast route, I've ordered a pair of Northwave Fahrenheit GTX boots. Merino socks and covers (waterproofing can only go so far when your shoes have vented soles) are not nearly enough.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg