Ice on the roads?

bluedoggy
bluedoggy Posts: 284
edited October 2012 in Road general
Icy roads. Is it a no go right from the start? I've never ridden when there is ice on the road and wanted to to know the general rules? If you do what precautions do you take and what to expect?
Wilier cento uno.

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    I've used to ride when there was ice on the roads, until I fell off and smashed my hip up.........it's not really worth doing, expect to fall off at some point, expect it to hurt and hope no cars flatten you!.
  • bluedoggy
    danowat wrote:
    I've used to ride when there was ice on the roads, until I fell off and smashed my hip up.........it's not really worth doing, expect to fall off at some point, expect it to hurt and hope no cars flatten you!.

Eeek! Nuff said!
    Wilier cento uno.
  • Or buy some studded tyres and keep riding. But you do need a bike with suitable tyre clearance (eg Cyclocross bike or tourer with mudguards removed or MTB).
  • orangepip
    orangepip Posts: 219
    yeah, it's not really much of a problem in the city, though as it gets closer to proper winter black ice can be an issue and you won't even know about it till it's too late. Due to the snow up here in Newcastle I didn't go out with the club this weekend as it just didn't seem worth it for the risk out in the country.

I commute to work and in winter try to ensure I stay on the main roads as there is less chance of unexpected ice but there's nothing you can do sometimes. It is possible to ride through it, but I'm not sure i'd be taking too many chances on my best bike if I had other options.

The cost of a turbo could appear expensive now but compare to the cost of a badly crashed frame...
  • freebs
    freebs Posts: 199
    ...or being dead!
  • bluedoggy
    orangepip wrote:
    yeah, it's not really much of a problem in the city, though as it gets closer to proper winter black ice can be an issue and you won't even know about it till it's too late. Due to the snow up here in Newcastle I didn't go out with the club this weekend as it just didn't seem worth it for the risk out in the country.

I commute to work and in winter try to ensure I stay on the main roads as there is less chance of unexpected ice but there's nothing you can do sometimes. It is possible to ride through it, but I'm not sure i'd be taking too many chances on my best bike if I had other options.

The cost of a turbo could appear expensive now but compare to the cost of a badly crashed frame...

I commute to work on a busy road from Frome to Bath - never on the back roads. I bought a 2nd hand Boardman Comp hybrid, so if i come off that i wont be that bothered if i damage it. Rather that than my Carbon Wilier - not that i want to crash that is. I'm in such a mixed train of thought at the moment at what to do? Do i ride in winter or not? Get a trainer or not? Ride my best bike or not? Sometimes the internet is your worst enemy when it comes to information. Almost to much info.I thought riding a bike was bloody simple.....
    Wilier cento uno.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Take each day as it comes, assess the risk and make an informed judgement, that's all you can do.
  • bluedoggy
    danowat wrote:
    Take each day as it comes, assess the risk and make an informed judgement, that's all you can do.

Yeah your right. Just check with the weatherman i suppose!
    Wilier cento uno.
  • Were lucky in the South we don't get the extremes you do up North so I would not worry to much our roads stay fairly ok.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    If I think the roads will be icy I go mountain biking instead, not worth the risk of breaking me and/or the bike and being out of commission for a while.

If I'm on the bike and I suspect black ice I stop pedaling and let the bike gently slow down, don't brake and don't try and change direction suddenly. Also a good idea to unclip your feet.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    When you get snow and ice on the roads unless you have studded tyres it's going to be almost impossible to stay upright and you risk injury and damage to your bike. Head offroad and introduce yourself to a whole new world of fun!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Dynamo powered hair dryer on the front pointing down at the road. Sorted.
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    When you get snow and ice on the roads unless you have studded tyres it's going to be almost impossible to stay upright and you risk injury and damage to your bike. Head offroad and introduce yourself to a whole new world of fun!

That's about as sensible as it gets unless you use a turbo or rollers.

This is going to be my first winter since having my hip re-surfaced so I'm going to be warey of falling off so I'll be extra careful.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • just use common sense...not that difficult. if its likely to be icy dont go out. if the temp is high enough for there to be minimal ice risk dont go out....hardly rocket science.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Bluedoggy wrote:
    Icy roads. Is it a no go right from the start? I've never ridden when there is ice on the road and wanted to to know the general rules? If you do what precautions do you take and what to expect?

life insurance and A&E

and get a turbo for those "i ve got a broken collar bone" rides.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Never under estimate how much I HATE the turbo...but if theres a risk of ice I go on the turbo! Rather have to go on for a few days than a few months because I popped my collarbone.
  • jthef
    jthef Posts: 226
    I always check the weather forecast but have been caught out a few times.
    things to check how dry is it? how many days has it been freezing?
    what this means is if there is a lot of moisture about and forecast friezing I don't cycle. if its been freezing for a couple of days and its dry it ok to cycle as no moistureis about to form ice. But I am more careful.
    I have bought some ice spikers for the mountain bike just not tried them out on ice yet.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    My mate are off badly on ice lat year and had road rash that kept him off his bike for almost two weeks, as a consequence I'm cautious now. The quiet country roads also tend to hold onto any ice cover longer as well which is something to be aware of.

Turbo time when it gets too cold overnight.
  • It has to be said that it's possible to ride in icy conditions, but it's not without risks. If it's sheet ice rather than a couple of frozen puddles, I begrudge no bicyclist not wanting to ride. I can't really see the point myself; my mobility would be compromised drastically enough (by not being able to go nearly as fast) that I'd likely be causing myself problems by doing it, so unless it were a short distance I wouldn't bother. I remember some years back going out on my paper round as a teenager in very icy conditions and had a lovely little slide; it was terrifying as I recall. :lol: