2013 bike shipment stolen from Trek HQ

Avanti Roman
Avanti Roman Posts: 189
edited February 2013 in Road general
Just been notified of this theft from Trek and checked with Chris they are OK for me to post this, please call her if you see/hear anything:

Bikes stolen outside of Trek UK offices
(Milton Keynes) – A lorry carrying a shipment of 2013 Trek road and mountain bikes was broken into overnight on Friday, October 26th. The vehicle was parked on the street outside of the Trek offices.

Models taken include several sizes of the following models:

Elite 8.8
Elite Carbon 9.6
Fuel EX 8
Remedy 9.8
Madone 3.5
Madone 4.7
Madone 5.9

It is possible that stolen bikes will show up in stores for repair or build, or for sale on auction sites such as Ebay and Gumtree. Trek UK has a list of serial numbers for verification.

Anyone with information regarding the stolen bikes, or to report a stolen bike being offered for sale, is asked to contact Trek UK on 01908 360 160.
For inquiries contact:
Chris Garrison
chris_garrison@trekbikes.com
01908 360 160
Ribble Gran Fondo
Boardman CX Team
Trek 8000
Sirrus framed 'special'

Prev: Avanti Corsa, Routens, MBK TT, homemade TT bike, Trek 990, Vitus 979 x 2, Peugeot Roubaix & er..Raleigh Arena!

Comments

• Why would you leave a load of expensive bikes in a truck over night?
  • late / early arrival and couldnt be unloaded until the morning? one of many.
  • JamesB5446 wrote:
    Why would you leave a load of expensive bikes in a truck over night?

to get stolen :) oh they did !!
    Trek Madone 5.9 2012
    Cboardman Team 2011
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327

It is possible that stolen bikes will show up in stores for repair or build, or for sale on auction sites such as Ebay and Gumtree. Trek UK has a list of serial numbers for verification.

Anyone with information regarding the stolen bikes, or to report a stolen bike being offered for sale, is asked to contact Trek UK

I think you are living on a different planet with this one. If people have the choice between getting a Madone 5.9 on the cheap or paying the full £3700 rrp.

Anyone with information... Any 56cm frames?
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    ben@31 wrote:

Anyone with information regarding the stolen bikes, or to report a stolen bike being offered for sale, is asked to contact Trek UK

I think you are living on a different planet with this one. If people have the choice between getting a Madone 5.9 on the cheap or paying the full £3700 rrp.

I wouldn't knowingly buy stolen goods. Don't judge everyone else on your moral standards.
  • ben@31 wrote:

Not really, I'm just passing on the info. I've had two roadbikes stolen myself and both were recovered following tip-offs from members of the public so just glad if I can pay it forward to be honest.
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Boardman CX Team
    Trek 8000
    Sirrus framed 'special'

Prev: Avanti Corsa, Routens, MBK TT, homemade TT bike, Trek 990, Vitus 979 x 2, Peugeot Roubaix & er..Raleigh Arena!
  • Been after a 5.9 - let me know if a 58cm is 'available!!'
  • When were these stolen? Trek models of the 5.9 were out of stock in the UK until January, so why would they be delivering some months before the confirmed shipdate?

this doesnt add up. the fact its all the high end bikes as well. im in tomorrow and will check on treks B2B which will no doubt have a update if anythings actually stolen......

edit - I have just read the news, but does seem very suspcious
    MADONE 5.2
  • I'll assume some of the replies here are a little tongue in cheek, but if not, those who would willingly accept a bike knowing it had been stolen, should have no complaints if any of their hard earned cycles are ever stolen. I suspect this wouldn't be the case!
    I'm not getting old... I'm just using lower gears......
    Sirius - Steel Reynolds 631
    Cove Handjob - Steel Columbus Nivacrom
    Trek Madone - Carbon
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    Beatmaker wrote:

I wouldn't knowingly buy stolen goods. Don't judge everyone else on your moral standards.

Nor would I. Partly because I think it's wrong but apart from anything, if anyone twigged you could lose the bike and you can hardly ask for a refund.
  • It was intended as tongue in cheek everyone put their handbags away
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    edited October 2012
    Wasn't there a secure car park or secure compound available?
  • I suppose Lance has got to get his bikes one way or another now that Trek won't sponsor him...... :-)
  • hi all,
    Just found this thread!

Having read through this and many other threads on various forums ref this subject, i am surprised that Trek havent issued a list publicly of all the serial numbers!!

I was in the market for a new road bike a while ago and there was some great deals on fleabay. In the end i bought one from my LBS but if i had of unknowingly bought a stolen bike, i wouldnt have a leg to stand on and could get done for handling stolen goods with no chance of getting my hard earned cash back!!

I am now in the market for a new mtb and quite like treks. Can someone post a list of serial numbers of those bikes stolen so i dont get myt fingers burnt?
    Trek Remedy 9.8 2013
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Who would even buy a Trek - Buy a Used Greg LeMond 8)
  • Gazzett blah blah blah.
    your comment is as useful in my quest as tits on a fish.
    Trek Remedy 9.8 2013
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    paully617 wrote:
    Gazzett blah blah blah.
    your comment is as useful in my quest as tits on a fish.

He's right though.
  • ben@31
    Beatmaker wrote:

Do you think Trek has moral standards, when it makes the bikes in 3rd world sweatshops and then fleeces the bike to you for £1000's? Who is robbing who here?

Here in the UK, financial crime only works one way.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    ben@31 wrote:
    Beatmaker wrote:

Do you think Trek has moral standards, when it makes the bikes in 3rd world sweatshops and then fleeces the bike to you for £1000's? Who is robbing who here?

You are missing the point.

As long as there is a market for stolen goods people will steal them. That may be from your shed!!

Also the prices manufacturers charge will only ever go up if they keep having to cover such losses.

Theft (from wherever) costs the consumer PERIOD!!
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ben@31
    You haven't answered my question... Does Trek have moral standards too? Are Trek robbing you, the consumer who pays £1000's? And is Trek robbing the workers in a 3rd world sweatshop who get paid £1 a week to make that bike?

Of course the consumer will always end up paying higher prices... Because of corporate greed, they won't take a cut.
  • ben@31 wrote:
    You haven't answered my question... Does Trek have moral standards too? Are Trek robbing you, the consumer who pays £1000's? And is Trek robbing the workers in a 3rd world sweatshop who get paid £1 a week to make that bike?

Of course the consumer will always end up paying higher prices... Because of corporate greed, they won't take a cut.

No, Trek aren't robbing you. You have a choice whether to give them your money or not.

Next.
  • Jahmoo
    Jahmoo Posts: 168
    ben@31 wrote:

Liked :)
  • My concern is not for how trek does their business but how to avoid getting nicked for handling stolen goods if i were to unknowingly buy one of these stolen bikes.

does anyone here actually have a list of the serial numbers??
    Trek Remedy 9.8 2013
  • Jahmoo
    Jahmoo Posts: 168
    paully617 wrote:
    My concern is not for how trek does their business but how to avoid getting nicked for handling stolen goods if i were to unknowingly buy one of these stolen bikes.

does anyone here actually have a list of the serial numbers??

Call Trek direct, they may give you the information!
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    ben@31 wrote:

How does that differ from any other manufacturer doing the same thing?

It is incorrect to single out Trek for this...single them out for making crap bikes or whatever (if you believe that) but not this.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ben@31
    It doesn't differ. Every corporation is just as bad.

I wouldn't steal and agree theft is wrong. But I have little sympathy for Trek.
  • ben@31 wrote:
    It doesn't differ. Every corporation is just as bad.

I wouldn't steal and agree theft is wrong. But I have little sympathy for Trek.

Have you considering starting a bare-knuckle boxing club which eventually escalates into a terrorist group which blows up buildings? Failing that, how about getting a f**king grip?
  • Personally, I'm not interested in how much eastern frame makers get paid for their work as much as say a celebrity cares how much I get paid for laying my life on the line for this country.
    What I am interested in is a: not buying stolen goods b: not getting a criminal record and c: not losing all my hard earned wages I've saved for my new bike as a result of point A.
    I agree that bikes and frames should be made over here etc etc but trek are just another business. A business who will do what's needed to ensure the end customer gets a good product and they make money!!
    Simple.
    There are plenty more important morale issues in the world at the mo and on that note, I'm off to scoff down a delicious pony burger!!!
    Trek Remedy 9.8 2013