The Spring Classics 2013 - how many days to go???

Comments

• deejay wrote:
    I've done R.V.V. and also Roubaix but the crowds are so large now and I hate Gridlock traffic so I watch TV. (well I know the roads)

Never really had a problem with traffic at Roubaix. Sure, Everyone goes to Arenberg. But then just go somewhere else, there is plenty to chose from. And of course, Flanders has changed a bit. You just go to the finish circuit now, no problems with traffic there.
    deejay wrote:
    There are so many races over the Flanders roads to pop over with less traffic for a midweek race and join the locals in the bars. (with TV of course)

We don't all live in Kent! :wink:
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    I hope this is the year that Stannard puts in a really good showing in the cobbled races. He seemed to get better and better as the season went on last year and he seems to be built perfectly for GW and P-R.
  • Milton50 wrote:
    I hope this is the year that Stannard puts in a really good showing in the cobbled races. He seemed to get better and better as the season went on last year and he seems to be built perfectly for GW and P-R.

And Flanders. He did pretty well in 2011.
  • The cobblestones are groaning at the thought of Yogi pounding them again
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Stannard, G, Fenn, Blythe. Four Brits who could well be there next year when it's down to the final 20 or so in the big cobblers.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    cummings?
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483
    Pross wrote:
    Mooro wrote:
    Actually, the best thing to do is go for a week. So either do Flanders, Pino Cerami and Roubaix or Amstel, Fleche and Liege. Take your bike over and ride when there isn't any racing to see. :D

i like this option. The problem is the kids are in school, so i have to pull them out for a week (risking their total failure in life due to missing a weeks colouring and brawling (or so the teachers tell me)). [joke - any teachers!]

Do Flanders and Roubaix. Flanders is on Easter Sunday and Roubaix the week after so should tie in with school holidays.

cheers for this now just need to decide which of the two weeks to take off - half term is 30th March to 16th April so need to choose which race:
    31 Mar 2013 Ronde van Vlaanderen / Tour des Flandres (Bel)
    7 Apr 2013 Paris - Roubaix (Fra)
    14 Apr 2013 Amstel Gold Race (Ned)
    17 Apr 2013 La Flèche Wallonne (Bel)
    21 Apr 2013 Liège - Bastogne - Liège (Bel)

my original preference was 14th - 21st to see three races but this wont happen.

We were in valkenberg for the worlds and I would love to repeat that but it would be great to hear which anybody else would choose and why?
  • Mooro wrote:
    cheers for this now just need to decide which of the two weeks to take off - half term is 30th March to 16th April so need to choose which race:

We were in valkenberg for the worlds and I would love to repeat that but it would be great to hear which anybody else would choose and why?

Don't forget GP Pino Cerami on the 4th April. Start is in Saint-Ghislain and it finishes in Frameries, although I would head to this climb...

Rue du Dragon

Which I think they do 3 times. It's not the biggest race compared to the others your looking at seeing, but if you choose to do Flanders and Roubaix, it's something to go to on the Thursday. And if your staying in Valenciennes for Roubaix, it's not very far away.

I don't think you'll go wrong with any of the races your looking to see, they are all pretty good. Don't think Liege is quite as good as the others from the roadside though, so I'd go for the first week.

Actually, I will probably be going to Flanders, GP Pino Cerami and Roubaix next year! :D
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Most interesting thing for me will be how people behave with the now less new Flanders course.

Everyone was a bit intimidated last year. Hopefully this year people will throw more caution to the wind. And ideally we'll have three 5 star favourites with Boonen, Cancellara and Sagan, though only one of them will have a team that counts behind them.
  • rick_chasey
    And obviously we're long overdue a wet Roubaix.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400

Rain is for girls, I want snow.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • And obviously we're long overdue a wet Roubaix.

I don't. Not if I'm gonna go. I want to come back with a suntan!
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I don't. Not if I'm gonna go. I want to come back with a suntan!

Do you tan then? I thought us Northerners all just burnt to a crisp! ;)
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Mmmm crisps....
  • Do you tan then? I thought us Northerners all just burnt to a crisp! ;)

That is a good point, if there is any sun, I'll come back looking like a beetroot. Rain it is then!

(although I would point out, I'm not Scottish. Mind you, I am quite "pale")
  • rick_chasey

Snow is just cold rain.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400

Snow is just cold rain.

Actually, rain is more likely to be warmed up snow.

I knew that Geography degree would come in handy one day.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Snow bikes all round then?

moots-snoots-snow-bike02.jpg
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483
    Mooro wrote:

Don't forget GP Pino Cerami on the 4th April. Start is in Saint-Ghislain and it finishes in Frameries, although I would head to this climb...

Rue du Dragon

Which I think they do 3 times. It's not the biggest race compared to the others your looking at seeing, but if you choose to do Flanders and Roubaix, it's something to go to on the Thursday. And if your staying in Valenciennes for Roubaix, it's not very far away.

I don't think you'll go wrong with any of the races your looking to see, they are all pretty good. Don't think Liege is quite as good as the others from the roadside though, so I'd go for the first week.

Actually, I will probably be going to Flanders, GP Pino Cerami and Roubaix next year! :D

Cheers for that. 1st week it is. a few days in bruges to start and then move south. Just been to see newcastle play there, lovely place, locals odd - here a bar owner nearly firebombs his own shop lighting some fireworks... http://telly.com/GAPRX
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Snow bikes all round then?

moots-snoots-snow-bike02.jpg
    Why's there a cassette on the front wheel?
  • Paul 8v wrote:

It's in case you have a problem with the back, you can swap them around.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Paul 8v wrote:

LOL. Then what do you do about the problem with the back wheel?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Paul 8v wrote:

LOL. Then what do you do about the problem with the back wheel?

You get one from the team car...
  • Paul 8v
    Or just pop a wheelie the whole way... I suppose it's probably the same spacing as a rear wheel to the that big rim but don't get the cassette!
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    Or just pop a wheelie the whole way... I suppose it's probably the same spacing as a rear wheel to the that big rim but don't get the cassette!

Look at the website that photo is from...

http://www.bikerumor.com/2010/03/02/nah ... rod-trail/
    Indeed, the rear wheel is the same as the front to allow swaps in the event of a mechanical.

If you have a problem with the freewheel, you can swap them around.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v wrote:

Look at the website that photo is from...

http://www.bikerumor.com/2010/03/02/nah ... rod-trail/
    Indeed, the rear wheel is the same as the front to allow swaps in the event of a mechanical.

If you have a problem with the freewheel, you can swap them around.
    Fair enough, can't say I've ever had a freewheel die on me though!

Anyways... I take it all the classics are going to be on Eurosport? As good as that website is I prefer to watch them on the big telly :-)
  • Paul 8v wrote:

Sure, but you live in Essex, not Alaska! :D
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v wrote:

Sure, but you live in Essex, not Alaska! :D

This is true!
  • blim
    blim Posts: 333
    OHN parcours revealed: no major surprises

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/sportwereld/cnt/DMF20121112_00366384
    kop van de wedstrijd