Yuck. I've just....

Wrath Rob
Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
...washed the padded bits in my bike helmet. They'd got to a level of smelliness that was rather unpleasant so I peeled them off of the velcro and washed them out. It took 4 washes to get the water to come out clear and for the smell to go. I felt slightly nauseous the entire time.

How smelly is your helmet?
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

Comments

• FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    How smelly is your helmet?

Really? ;):D
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,316
    That was one of the things I hated about wearing a helmet. Absolutely stank! And unlike shoes, it's right by your nose.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    pangolin wrote:
    That was one of the things I hated about wearing a helmet. Absolutely stank! And unlike shoes, it's right by your nose.

Anyone got any tips for getting rid of the stink in shoes? Mine are disgusting.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • gavbarron
    gavbarron Posts: 824
    Sprinkle baking soda inside them after a ride to absorb smells. If they already smell bad then this will help but not solve the problem, may just have to always ride fast so as to stay upwind of the smell!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    rubertoe wrote:
    pangolin wrote:

Anyone got any tips for getting rid of the stink in shoes? Mine are disgusting.

after every ride I use anti-bacterial spray - never have a problem
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I wear caps under my helmets these days, seems to help avoid the problem......
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I wear caps under my helmets these days, seems to help avoid the problem......
    +1

Just wash the caps :D
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    I've started following advice from this forum - I shower with my helmet, and I wash the liners more regularly. I suffer from helmet smegma too.....it's not actually the lineers that stink too much, it's the strap which is much harder to wash properly.

re Shoes...i've been wondering whether you can actually put MTB shoes (I have the Spesh BG Tahoe ones) in the washing machine?
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Not having hair seems to help
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Can't you put the pads in the washing machine?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,697
    BigLights wrote:
    I've started following advice from this forum - I shower with my helmet, and I wash the liners more regularly. I suffer from helmet smegma too.....it's not actually the lineers that stink too much, it's the strap which is much harder to wash properly.

re Shoes...i've been wondering whether you can actually put MTB shoes (I have the Spesh BG Tahoe ones) in the washing machine?

It may well damage the machine more than the shoes. You can generally remove the helmet straps and then give them a good hand wash/scrub to get the worst off before putting them in with the rest of the cycling kit.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • adskis
    adskis Posts: 85
    coriordan wrote:

Don't do this.
    I killed mine last month doing this.
    Turns out they are glued together. (Well, my Giro one's were)
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Adskis wrote:
    coriordan wrote:

Don't do this.
    I killed mine last month doing this.
    Turns out they are glued together. (Well, my Giro one's were)

I think so long as the temperature is low enough, you'll be OK. After all, your head is at 40C so they should be able to survive a 40C wash. Best to put them in a laundry bag or (as I do) the pocket of a jersey. Wish I could do the same with the straps but they're built into the lid of my Ionos.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Put them in one of those net bags that used to come with er certain tablets. Or a sock with a knot in the end.

I usually wash mine when I can smell the rain water running off the helmet and down my face, More so if i can taste it! ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    FWIW when I've washed helmet pads I've used Head & Shoulders to good effect. It contains a fungicide.

Other brands are available.
  • daveski12
    daveski12 Posts: 158
    Never had any issues putting mine in a normal machine wash with the rest of my cycling gear.
  • ror3h
    ror3h Posts: 68
    A good trick is to put it in the freezer overnight. This kills off any bacteria (and therefore most of the smellyness).