Identifying Spinergy Rev issues

joemcerlane
joemcerlane Posts: 11
edited October 2012 in Road general
A friend is selling a set of spinergys and I've heard all bad things. Now I have also been told the final 4th gen of the wheel weren't going to explode.
they are fine. make sure the hub doesn't use carbon circlips to support the carbon >blades, these are the ones that exploded.

The problem was that the clips hold the blades apart, being held apart gives the blades tension and keep the wheel stiff. Those clips failed, the blades loose their strength, wheel shatters, reputation gained.

They revised the hub and later editions are fine. You can tell because the hub has a 3 piece aluminum design that looks like this.
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/7/6/5/1/ ... 8692_o.jpg
Remember, they sold these wheels for nearly 10 years of production, they produced thousands of them and there are only a handfull of horror stories that relate to the first design of the hub. Check out the review on Roadbikereview.com, people have ridden 1000's of miles on them with no troubles. If you can, get the extra stiffs as they are extra stiff.

Now I'm a total nub but I like my teeth, the picture in that link doesn't exist anymore. So how can I verify the wheels my mate are selling are sweet. And this is not some elaborate plot to get back at me since I called him fat in school