product of 2012

chilli_man
chilli_man Posts: 15
edited November 2012 in MTB general
was just wondering what people thought the best product of 2012 was and why

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Either Hans Dampfs or Bonty XR4s. Two tyres that are genuinely AM. Tough enough to rip down the hill, light enough to get back up, and good enough in all conditions that you don't need specific mud/dry.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I was going to name a couple of things but on thinking about it I think they're '11.

So instead- Berm Baby Berm at Glentress :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Clutch derailleurs for the moderately affluent masses maybe?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    benpinnick wrote:
    Either Hans Dampfs or Bonty XR4s. Two tyres that are genuinely AM. Tough enough to rip down the hill, light enough to get back up, and good enough in all conditions that you don't need specific mud/dry.

I was using XR4's in 2010 so they are hardly a new product for 2012 and personally I think Hans Damps are terrible.
    Best product of 2012 for me would be the 2012 Nukeproof Scalp. Performance as good as the Demo & Glory with better components at a much lower price and nicely tweaked geometry based on their experience racing world cups in 2011.
  • Deore 10sp groupset.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    benpinnick wrote:

I was using XR4's in 2010 so they are hardly a new product for 2012 and personally I think Hans Damps are terrible.
    Best product of 2012 for me would be the 2012 Nukeproof Scalp. Performance as good as the Demo & Glory with better components at a much lower price and nicely tweaked geometry based on their experience racing world cups in 2011.

I doubt you were using the 2012 XR4s though, which are a truck load better than the originals.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Deore chainset and RS Recon Silver forks that were £110.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    benpinnick wrote:
    benpinnick wrote:

I doubt you were using the 2012 XR4s though, which are a truck load better than the originals.

True. I didn't know they had changed. The ones I had in 2010 were excellent and I shall be fitting some to my hardtail this winter. I still think the Scalp is the best product of 2012.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    chilli man wrote:
    was just wondering what people thought the best product of 2012 was and why
    No one has even mentioned their iPhone/iPad yet. I'm suprised, any excuse I thought.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • paul.skibum
    27.5 wheels :wink:
  • Northwind

Oh yeah. Let's have that then, they're ace.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    My neo guard
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613

and
    sigorman85 wrote:
    My neo guard

Have been around for ages!

Shadow Plus for the masses is a good shout, but I'll go XX1 and the thing I'm most impressed with.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Bacon.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    I'm quite liking the re released Airfix range of models that have been tweeked to resolve detail and scale issues.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    oodboo wrote:
    Bacon.

Win!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • paul.skibum
    njee20 wrote:

and
    sigorman85 wrote:
    My neo guard

Shadow Plus for the masses is a good shout, but I'll go XX1 and the thing I'm most impressed with.

That was the reason for my wink - the marketing boys appear not to be aware.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    New Xt M785 brakes, without doubt the best brakes I've ever had!
  • sandy771
    sandy771 Posts: 368

this ^ er, or this \/
    lawman wrote:
    New Xt M785 brakes, without doubt the best brakes I've ever had!
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    njee20 wrote:

and
    sigorman85 wrote:
    My neo guard

That was the reason for my wink - the marketing boys appear not to be aware.

My neo guard was made in 2012 :D
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • MDobs
    MDobs Posts: 167
    sliced bread. bread, that's already sliced... genius

other than that, i'd say my 2012 race face ambush baggies, best baggies i've had, although to be honest i haven't had much brand new 2012 kit, and these are probably just a slight change from 2011 or before.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Is the Hope IBR 2012, if so it gets my vote (for those not aware a single ring with built on bash, the 32T comes in at an amazing 62g)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Northwind
    ...which is actually heavier than a 32T E13 guidering and a BBG bashring ;) With the minor advantage of not having to throw away the bash when the ring wears out. Very tidy though, I do like it. Wonder if they'll ever do a 2-ring version of it (ie, thin bash/chainring/thin bash) for chain retention?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    My Endura MTR windproof jersey has been great in the little time I ve had to ride it this year...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I bought some Royal Racing shorts this year - don't know when they were released but they are the best shorts I've owned. I've spent five days riding this week and I lived out of them the entire time.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Northwind wrote:
    ...which is actually heavier than a 32T E13 guidering and a BBG bashring ;) With the minor advantage of not having to throw away the bash when the ring wears out. Very tidy though, I do like it. Wonder if they'll ever do a 2-ring version of it (ie, thin bash/chainring/thin bash) for chain retention?
    BBG ring lightest is 28g http://bbgbashguard.com/superlights.html and the 32T E13 30g, plus afew extra grams for the longers bolt, so yes, benefits of seperate parts to change as well, but the HOPE does look cool and the bash is more substantial than the BBG lightweight which are just 1.6mm thick......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I'm going for my 2012 Saint MX80 replacement pedals for my old Shimano MX30's.

10 soaking wet muddy claggy rides so far to include Wharncliffe Woods, Aston Hill, Dalby, Sherwood Pines and they have not skipped or slipped a beat yet!!!

They're a great profile, just thin enough for good clearance yet look and feel substantial enough for confidence. Pins are great in the long variation (without the washers fitted).

If you shop around they are as little as £45 at the moment too bargain!!!!
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Hadleigh MTB Club - the first Olympic legacy venue!