Autumn / Winter tights

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
Any recommendations for a pair of autumn / winter unpadded full length tights?

My DHB ones fell apart after a few weeks cycling and as I bought them in April (the end of season sale) I have no hope for a refund.

I feel the cold quite quickly on the legs so warmer rather than cooler. I do have a pair of full thermal padded bib tights so don't need the full cold weather kit.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Tried these? I got some recently and I really like them. Could be the thing as you already have thermal bibs.

http://www.assosfactoryoutlet.com/product/13-80-801-10-1-leg-warmers-roubaix
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    That's odd. I've a pair that are several years old that are still going strong, as well as two more recent pairs. I'd give them another go unless you think there is something about the way you wear them ( :? :shock: ) that might have caused the previous failure.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Kieran_Burns
    my original ones were great - lasted a couple of hard years riding - but this pair split at several seams. Somewhat disappointed to be honest. They were the Vaeon ones
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Kieran_Burns
    pangolin wrote:
    Tried these? I got some recently and I really like them. Could be the thing as you already have thermal bibs.

http://www.assosfactoryoutlet.com/product/13-80-801-10-1-leg-warmers-roubaix

they are thermal tights not shorts so I don't need leg warmers as such
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    The Assos "winter" tights are, predictably both fantastic and fantastically expensive. They are their 851 material which I love. If you shop around they can be found at a reasonable price from time-to-time - especially the unpadded variet (which are by far the best because, if i had a complaint, the padded variety aren't as warm around the jewels as they need to be on the coldest day). Mine are into their 3rd season and showing no signs of distress.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    my original ones were great - lasted a couple of hard years riding - but this pair split at several seams. Somewhat disappointed to be honest. They were the Vaeon ones

Too much power?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Paul E wrote:

Too much power?

I wish. Crap stitching. I mean really crap. When you turn them inside out the seams are really messy and poorly stitched.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    My DHB ones fell apart after a few weeks cycling and as I bought them in April (the end of season sale) I have no hope for a refund.

The good thing about wiggle is their return policy

'That's why Wiggle is proud to offer our customers a 365 day returns policy . This means that you can buy a product with full confidence that you can return the item(s) up to 12 months after your purchase.'
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    Paul E wrote:

Too much power?

I wish. Crap stitching. I mean really crap. When you turn them inside out the seams are really messy and poorly stitched.

Must have been the last pair on a Friday afternoon. My unpadded pair, which I bought a few weeks ago, are fine. Seems like you can return them.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    antlaff's the man. Send them back for a new pair. I've got 3 pairs of dhb winter tights now and they're absolutely fine. For really cold days (like Saturday) I've got some Gore tights that are double layered with windproof panels on the front. Really warm and comfy but only really wearable below 5 degrees.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Kieran_Burns
    antlaff wrote:

The good thing about wiggle is their return policy

'That's why Wiggle is proud to offer our customers a 365 day returns policy . This means that you can buy a product with full confidence that you can return the item(s) up to 12 months after your purchase.'

Missed that thanks :) I've emailed Wiggle and will see what they can do.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Really warm and comfy but only really wearable below 5 degrees.

Does Winter get above 5 degrees? :wink::wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Castelli Sorpasso.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Really warm and comfy but only really wearable below 5 degrees.

Does Winter get above 5 degrees? :wink::wink:
    Try coming down south for a holiday, you might get a nice tan even in winter :D

Its nice being in an urban heat sink at times :P
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • mrbobuk
    mrbobuk Posts: 20

I feel the cold quite quickly on the legs so warmer rather than cooler. I do have a pair of full thermal padded bib tights so don't need the full cold weather kit.

De Marchi EVERY time. Had mine now for 3 years without a tear - purchased them at Mercian Cycles in Derby.
    "Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades" - Merckx
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788

M&S or Primark womens' section. Sorted! :lol:
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i got some of these

9032.jpg

i always seem to get drafters....
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778

Put on a bit of weight?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Kieran_Burns
    Clever Pun wrote:

Put on a bit of weight?

cheeky bast.....
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    +1 for the Wiggle returns; sent mine back after 18months use and they replaced them without a quibble.