XC/trail knee pads

lawman
lawman Posts: 6,868
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
Thinking of getting some light weight knee pads that are usable all day in the saddle, we have nearly 3500ft of climbing on my local ride at uni so they need to be comfortable, and easy to pedal in, but they'll be used for abit of light DH work too, nothing crazy but no doubt my knees will take at somepoint :lol:

Any suggestions?

G-forms pads look good, anybody use those?

Comments

• jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    There was a thread a little while back about g-form pads. I think the summary was they are good pads. Nice and comfortable for all day rides, good balance between protection, weight and comfort. I think CWNT ended up buying a pair? My friend has a pair and highly rates them. But they look a lot less substantial than my set of 661 kyle straits but that could be because of the high tech material they use?
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I can't fault my 661 Kyle Straits for all day climbs and massive, gnarly, scary DH descents...and everything in between
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Quite like Fox Launch Pros am on my second pair. Big cut-out behind the knee, lots of protection and the 'floating' hardshell over the knee works very well.

I understand they are becoming difficult to get hold of perhaps there is a new version on the way.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I can't fault my 661 Kyle Straits for all day climbs and massive, gnarly, scary DH descents...and everything in between

I have Kyle Strait knee pads, great for DH but a bit heavy & sweaty for XC riding.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I use g-form knee and elbow pads, they're very comfy and generally forget I'm wearing them once they're on. Used them in Spain recently in 30c heat and they worked well, although admittedly did take them off when we knew we were doing a long climb or road section. I've only crashed on them once but the knees took my weight after a semi-over-the-bars incident, just got a bit like a carpet burn on my knee behind the pad as I guess it shifted slightly but the knee itself was fine.
    Another plus point is they're fine to be washed frequently (mine go in after every ride and the stitching etc. is fine), no more humming pads is a good thing...
    Only thing to watch out for is the sizing guide was a bit off IME, I had to size up for the knees as the recommend size cut off my lower leg circulation :p
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067

I have Kyle Strait knee pads, great for DH but a bit heavy & sweaty for XC riding.

You sure it's not the rider that's heavy a sweaty...? :wink:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Another vote for g form here, used them everywhere from alpine downhill to uk trail centres and local riding.
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    Regularly pedal all day in Fox Launch Pro's, including up Snowdon recently. They are very comfortable and don't slip. Haven't worn them on a properly hot day yet though!
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • Bolly
    Bolly Posts: 6
    Another vote for the Fox Launch Pro...Knee and elbow!

Very comfy, and great amount of padding!!!!
  • lawman
    Thanks for the feedback chaps, looking like the g-forms are edging it, what are peoples experiences fit wise, I don't have weird knees, so would I want to size up from a medium to large?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774

You sure it's not the rider that's heavy a sweaty...? :wink:

Might be...
  • I got 661 Kyle Straights - never notice they're there and their remit has been employed many many times! lol
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    lawman wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback chaps, looking like the g-forms are edging it, what are peoples experiences fit wise, I don't have weird knees, so would I want to size up from a medium to large?
    I followed their size guide, got large and they fit perfect.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The gforms are nice and slim but the downside is they don't have great coverage- doesn't really compare to Kyle Strait-a-like from that point of view. Nice kit though

I'm still using the old kyle straits, they fit me brilliantly and I'm happy to wear them all day (in fact, all day, 7 days in a row, in the south of france). But they are pretty bulky, and I think fit-dependant.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Has anyone tried Nukeproof kneepads?
    I've got Soul.
  • Dabbling with the fox launch pro ......... dont notice there on and no movement or chaffing ....
  • lawman wrote:

Sorry Tom, missed this.

If you're still looking at them, I'd be going for a pair that are your regular size.

The issue with mine was not that they were too small as such, just that they didn't properly match upper and lower leg. So they fit nicely on my lower leg, but on my hoy-like-thighs they were just too tight, which caused them to roll-down.

Go for your regular sizing, but keep your returns slip handy.

Got mine off a seller on Amazon btw. Had a good range of sizes in both the yellow, and black. Good prices too.
  • lawman
    lawman wrote:

Sorry Tom, missed this.

If you're still looking at them, I'd be going for a pair that are your regular size.

The issue with mine was not that they were too small as such, just that they didn't properly match upper and lower leg. So they fit nicely on my lower leg, but on my hoy-like-thighs they were just too tight, which caused them to roll-down.

Go for your regular sizing, but keep your returns slip handy.

Got mine off a seller on Amazon btw. Had a good range of sizes in both the yellow, and black. Good prices too.

Cheers for the feedback Matt :) looks like I'll go for the g-forms, should have enough coverage I reckon, and just have to hope they fit well!
  • No worries dude.

I have to say, after reading this, I went and tried mine on again this morning before work. Now I've started shifting a bit more of my post-op biscuit weight ( :wink: ) they do seem to fit a bit better.

As for coverage, well knowing the problems I've had with my knees over the last 12months or so, I'll be happy to wear them for everything but full-on DH. They seem like they'd shrug off some reasonable knocks. Obviously not going to prevent serious injury, but the sort of knock I took a couple of months back where my knee balloned and I was off the bike for a few weeks I think could certainly have been prevented had I been wearing these.
  • lawman
    No worries dude.

I have to say, after reading this, I went and tried mine on again this morning before work. Now I've started shifting a bit more of my post-op biscuit weight ( :wink: ) they do seem to fit a bit better.

As for coverage, well knowing the problems I've had with my knees over the last 12months or so, I'll be happy to wear them for everything but full-on DH. They seem like they'd shrug off some reasonable knocks. Obviously not going to prevent serious injury, but the sort of knock I took a couple of months back where my knee balloned and I was off the bike for a few weeks I think could certainly have been prevented had I been wearing these.

Yeah I think for centres and the peaks they'll be ideal, and when I say DH, our DH tracks are damn smooth, just fookin steep :lol: Just abit of extra protection in case I ever need it, not very often I crash but the knees usually take most the hits!
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    another vote for Fox launch pro from me, I use them for long rides as well as dh and I can't fault them
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Kyle straits for me at the mo, not many left though now and the replacements aren't as good by all accounts. Did a 30odd mile ride in them the other week and they were absolutely fine, I do like the look of the gshocks though, might get some for the height of summer
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017