650b wheels

Ghost biker
Ghost biker Posts: 3
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
I know I know probley a silly question I am just about to buy a new Ghost AMR Lector all this talk 26 inch wheel bikes will be gone in a few years,Am sure there will be a few of us short guys on a 26 but my question is will a 650b wheel fit replace the 26 wheel on my bike?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Maybe, but why. 26" wheels won't disappear.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Maybe, but why. 26" wheels won't disappear.
    I know just might like to try the 650b wheel sometime.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    They might "fit" but it will probably do weird stuff to the geometry that would nt be so good. Look at it this way, you get to buy a new bike in a few years! ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Fitting 650B at both ends would have no effect on geometry at all.

the wheels will fit but you may be heavily restricted on tyre size, a 650B tyre is (like for like) about 1" larger diameter than 26er, so if you have more than 3/4" clearance (allowing some for mud clearance) you'll be able to use a similar size to now, if not, you won't.

26er won't be going any time soon, BSO's still used inclined dropouts tooled in about 1965 that were superceeded in about 1980.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I reckon my front (26") wheel with the Conti Rubber Queen is about the size of a 650B wheel with a Nobby Nic on it :wink:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8