Team sky..... Thoughts?

Crispyapp
Crispyapp Posts: 344
edited October 2012 in Road general
So by now you must all of heard about brailsfords 0% doping contract... I was wondering now Yates has decided to leave do you think he's taken it too far? I totally understand he wants to run a clean ship, however to punish people for something they may of done in the past seems madness to me.....

I'm sure you have your comments agree or disagree what are they?
Look 595 ultra - F+F for sale.....
Cervelo r5
Kinesis T2 2013 winter bike
Merida Carbon 1500 flx MTB

Comments

• LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    I think Brailsford needs to be doing this - otherwise suspicions maybe raised about Sky's performance at this years Tour and continue if they carry on doing well.

And I think it needs to be done - wipe the board clean and start again. 2013 becomes 1LA - 1 year after Armstrong
  • stickman
    stickman Posts: 791
    Yes, do it properly and fully.
    Bikes, saddles and stuff

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21720915@N03/
    More stuff:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65587945@N00/

Gears - Obscuring the goodness of singlespeed
  • Crispyapp
    LegendLust wrote:
    I think Brailsford needs to be doing this - otherwise suspicions maybe raised about Sky's performance at this years Tour and continue if they carry on doing well.

And I think it needs to be done - wipe the board clean and start again. 2013 becomes 1LA - 1 year after Armstrong

I totally agree it needs to be done, what I'm not convinced about is punishing people for their past. The sport has to move in a new direction but my thoughts are sign the contract and start this from now. Not from potentially what you may may not of done 10 yrs ago.
    Cervelo r5
  • stickman
    stickman Posts: 791
    If I owned a team I would want absolute zero drug involvement past, present future. And anyone caught generally should get a life ban. The Vuelta was ruined by the disgusting sight of Contador riding after a few months ban for doping.
    Bikes, saddles and stuff

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21720915@N03/
    More stuff:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65587945@N00/

Gears - Obscuring the goodness of singlespeed
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    LegendLust wrote:

I think its got quite a lot to do with Brailsford's link to British cycling... any kind of doping speculation is going to not only affect Sky.. but British cycling too.

..and he can't risk that.
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    I'm not sure that it's really punishing anybody unless they claim to be clean and are later found out. My understanding is that anyone who puts their hand up is politely asked to leave and gets quite a pay-off. That doesn't apply to people who have lied.

It's not like a rider who admits to a doping past becomes unemployable, they just don't fit in with the ethics of Team Sky. Other teams will have them.

Dave Brailsford's stance is noble, but I think it's going to take some time before it becomes foolproof.

Rob
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    Crispyapp wrote:
    LegendLust wrote:

I totally agree it needs to be done, what I'm not convinced about is punishing people for their past. The sport has to move in a new direction but my thoughts are sign the contract and start this from now. Not from potentially what you may may not of done 10 yrs ago.

Yates hasn't been punished though. His retirement is of his own choice. He's gone now to save Sky any embarrassment in the future if/when Yate's is found out to have been a doper.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Team sky have had a zero drugs policy right from the outset. These guys have presumably signed contracts on that basis and have therefore lied, so I would imagine that they are now in breach of those contracts. Perhaps they are fortunate to get a payoff...
  • I think it is a brave stance that Brailsford is taking, but one for which he should be admired. The UCI could learn a thing or two....
    Giant Defy 2
    Giant Defy Composite 1
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Sky have ruined football in this country, give it time in anything else they are involved in
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    I think every team should have this policy..

this sport should be a clean sport... If it means we lose some good riders because of doping, so be it...

It should NOT be tolerated past, present or future...
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • I doubt very much Brailsford WANTED the departures, as they were clearly highly valued members of a quality run team. However, i think he needed to be SEEN to be making this stance, to cover his own back & protect riders like Wiggo & Froome dog from any extra media scrutiny & rumour. A clever move, but a ruthless one.
  • vfast1
    vfast1 Posts: 98
    Crispyapp wrote:

What Armstong did was in the past so what do you say to that?
    Winter Road - 2014 Boardman Sport
    MTB - 2012 Canyon Nerve XC 7
    Summer Road - 2012 Cannondale Supersix 105 Liquigas Colours
  • Crispyapp
    vfast1 wrote:
    Crispyapp wrote:

What Armstong did was in the past so what do you say to that?

You know what, ill eat my hat, there I said it...... Never looked at it that way. Hate Armstrong and everything associated to live strong. When you look at it this way I'd say your right. :oops:
    Cervelo r5