BASH Regular expressions

scwxx77
scwxx77 Posts: 1,469
edited October 2012 in The cake stop
I trying to do exercise 25.2 from 'UNIX and Linux System Administration Handbook' but I'm having trouble with the regular expression.
E25.2 Write a shell command line or script to parse the output of xdpyinfo and print the current screen resolution in the format XxY, e.g., 1024X768.
$ xdpyinfo | grep -i dimensions #returns the following:
    dimensions:     1208x960 pixels (338x253 millimeters)
$ xdpyinfo | grep -i dimensions | sed -n 's/\([0-9]+[x][0-9]+\)/\1/p'  # returns nothing

It's driving me nuts. Does anyone know where I'm going wrong?
Winner: PTP Vuelta 2007 :wink:

Comments

• dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Yes, the first place I'd come to solve regex problems on *nix would be the road/cake stop subsection on a cycling forum.

;)
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    take the easy way out...

xdpyinfo | grep -i dimensions | cut -d' ' -f7
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Anyway, think you've already solved it really? Yes you have additional data (in mm), but you still have answered the question.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    scwxx77 wrote:
    I trying to do exercise 25.2 from 'UNIX and Linux System Administration Handbook'

Don't.
  • Stackoverflow is what you want.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • scwxx77
    Awesome, sungod.

I'd still like to know why my answer returns nothing though. I'd really rather not register to another forum when there are obviously knowledgeable people on here.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    afaik use of + to denote one or more of the preceding character isn't in all implementations

using [0-9][0-9]* is more reliable to match one or more decimal digits

tbh i find sed a pain, i rarely used it in 25+ years of scripting, preferred awk

if you really want to use sed, this should work...

xdpyinfo | sed -n 's/[ ]*dimensions[^0-9]*\([0-9][0-9]*x[0-9][0-9]*\).*/\1/p'

method: match/discard the initial non-numerics, match the wanted bit and stash it in 1, match/discard the unwanted remainder
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • scwxx77
    Excellent, I'll sleep better tonight! Thanks.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Pour petrol on the keyboard and fling a lit match on it. These computers need a bit of teaching.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    Can you use Delphi to help construct it?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!