BBC sports news

lemon63
lemon63 Posts: 253
edited October 2012 in The cake stop
Why the f*** do the BBC on their national news always follow up the Premiership football results/news with the SPL results?? :evil:
Why don't they follow it with news of the days Championship results, does anybody south of the border really give a shiney sh**e about that mickey mouse Scottish league??

Just wanted to get that off my chest ....

Comments

• Hope you feel better for that fella.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Why do they call it sport when it's only football, regardless of any nationalistic flavour :D
    Coffee is not my cup of tea

Moda Fresco track racer
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6 winter commuter
    Gunnar Hyper X
    Rocky Mountain ETSX
    Cannondale Scalpel 3000 (retro-bike in bits)
    Lemond Poprad Disc, now retired pending frame re-paint.
  • Just remember that when the Scots get their independence, you won't have to listen to SPL results and the clocks won't change like they did this morning as the only objectors are the Scots.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    lemon63 wrote:
    Why the f*** do the BBC on their national news always follow up the Premiership football results/news with the SPL results?? :evil:
    Why don't they follow it with news of the days Championship results, does anybody south of the border really give a shiney sh**e about that mickey mouse Scottish league??

The answer is in the question.
    Valid other points though.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Just remember that when the Scots get their independence, you won't have to listen to SPL results and the clocks won't change like they did this morning as the only objectors are the Scots.

You sound bitter about something....
    More problems but still living....
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    lemon63 wrote:

I could not agree with this more wholeheartedly.

It also causes irritation when you've just flicked 'final score' on for a second or two whilst holding a screaming infant (or busy in some other important way) to see how your team have done (Leeds Utd), only to find it's just scrolled past your division. This wouldn't be so catastrophic if we didn't then have to scroll through all the Scottish divisions before returning, eventually, to the English premiership and below.

I also can't see any reason AT ALL why any form of horse racing should be on the telly.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    I agree there are problems with the ordering of sports coverage on the BBC. As a public service broadcaster, the Beeb should base its programming on the intrinsic interest and quality of the sport, rather than mere popularity. I suggest the following sequence:

Rugby - 3 min
    Athletics - 3 min
    Cycling - 3 min
    Tennis - 3 min
    Beach Volleyball - 1 min
    Soccer (US women's league) - 1 min
    Soccer (Premiership) - 30 seconds
    Soccer (Scottish) - 30 seconds
    Soccer (other) - red button text summary
    Golf - website only

Does anyone have any further suggestions before I send this to Feedback?
  • lemon63
    Hope you feel better for that fella.

much better thanks ...... :wink:
    on their national news
    sorry meant the national news..... - I'm in Wales hence the rant.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,329
    RDW wrote:

Rugby - 1 min
    Athlechicks - 5 min
    Cycling - 1 hr plus interviews and tech talk
    Tennis - 30 secs for the blokes, 5 mins for Russian female tennis players
    Womens Beach Volleyball - 25 min
    Soccer (US women's league) - Don't bother, they all bat for the other side and the Dutch Ladies Hockey team are far prettier
    Soccer (Premiership) - Don't bother MOTD follows shortly after anyway
    Soccer (Scottish) - Waste of time when you could be watching no.5
    Soccer (other than La Liga, Serie A and the Bundesliga) - red button text summary (I wouldn't strain my forefinger clicking on the button)
    Golf - Only when we beat the yanks
    La Liga - 2 hours every Sunday and a roundup of Serie A and Bundesliga

There you go, just amended your list a little.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • gavbarron
    gavbarron Posts: 824
    You could amend it more by getting rid of the word soccer and calling it football, it's the BBC not Fox
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    But if this happens we may never get to hear the announcer utter the Holy Grail of results,

East Fife 5 Forfar 4.

In the 63-64 season there was Forfar 5, East Fife 4. Nearly!
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    gavbarron wrote:
    You could amend it more by getting rid of the word soccer and calling it football, it's the BBC not Fox

I called it soccer to make sure there was no confusion with proper sports, like Rugby Football*

* Union, obviously. Touch Rugby, Rugby League, and Xbox Rugby are not included in the proposed format.
  • DrKJM
    DrKJM Posts: 271
    RDW wrote:
    gavbarron wrote:

I called it soccer to make sure there was no confusion with proper sports, like Rugby Football*

* Union, obviously. Touch Rugby, Rugby League, and Xbox Rugby are not included in the proposed format.

Good man*. Gets my vote.

*Or woman.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    It has been troublesome for England to acknowledge other parts of the sporting world exist/matter for some time. Especially when it comes to football, take the world cup for example: In Scotland we have realistic football ambitions - we enjoy the foreign trips for qualifying without having to pay the overblown ticket, travel and accommodation prices associated with actually attending the finals. We don't over exagerate our chances on the back a "good result" against Moldova and that Rooney et al are all worth the £XXXXX they get paid every minute. We do though have to listen to the huge build up to these events which focus 97.5% on a team which we don't support, we would rather hear about Portugal or maybe Sweden, perhaps even Germany or Italy (who are real contenders) but instead we have to get up to the minute BS about why this could be Englands time from tw*ts like Mark Lawrenson who would shame Henry VIII for his jingoism. Even after Engerland are inevitably sent home they will make at least a dozen remarks relating to them during the World Cup final coverage; which has not featured England for my entire lifetime.

So I'm not really sorry that 5 mins of your week are "ruined" by the Scottish results. In our leagues the players and managers might actually be Scottish, it's our football and we like it.

Breathe...
  • Redhog14 wrote:
    It has been troublesome for England to acknowledge other parts of the sporting world exist/matter for some time. Especially when it comes to football, take the world cup for example: In Scotland we have realistic football ambitions - we enjoy the foreign trips for qualifying without having to pay the overblown ticket, travel and accommodation prices associated with actually attending the finals. We don't over exagerate our chances on the back a "good result" against Moldova and that Rooney et al are all worth the £XXXXX they get paid every minute. We do though have to listen to the huge build up to these events which focus 97.5% on a team which we don't support, we would rather hear about Portugal or maybe Sweden, perhaps even Germany or Italy (who are real contenders) but instead we have to get up to the minute BS about why this could be Englands time from tw*ts like Mark Lawrenson who would shame Henry VIII for his jingoism. Even after Engerland are inevitably sent home they will make at least a dozen remarks relating to them during the World Cup final coverage; which has not featured England for my entire lifetime.

So I'm not really sorry that 5 mins of your week are "ruined" by the Scottish results. In our leagues the players and managers might actually be Scottish, it's our football and we like it.

Breathe...
    :lol::lol::lol: brilliant
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    "In our leagues the players and managers might actually be Scottish"

Half the bloody managers in the Premiership are Scottish too!
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    lemon63 wrote:

Could it be because its is the BBC ie BRITISH Broadcasting Corporation, not the English Broadcasting Corporation
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Redhog14 wrote:

Breathe...
    :lol::lol::lol: brilliant

Post of the month [insert clapping smiley]
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    For me, I'd be happy (nay, ecstatic) if they'd just stop reporting football at all. I'm bored rigid by it, it's bad enough watching them play, but the seemingly endless analysis of a game we have to go through is just beyond me.

The older I get, the better I was.

• B.M.R.
    B.M.R. Posts: 72
    Capt Slog wrote:
    For me, I'd be happy (nay, ecstatic) if they'd just stop reporting football at all. I'm bored rigid by it, it's bad enough watching them play, but the seemingly endless analysis of a game we have to go through is just beyond me.

I agree..

"Well Terry, if he'd passed HERE, rather than HERE, he might have got through on goal..."

BUT HE DIDN'T, SO WHATS THE POINT IN FUCKING TALKING ABOUT IT!?!

I've never seen so much b*****cks talked about 22 men kicking a bit of dead cow around a grassy field.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    RDW wrote:
    I agree there are problems with the ordering of sports coverage on the BBC. As a public service broadcaster, the Beeb should base its programming on the intrinsic interest and quality of the sport, rather than mere popularity. I suggest the following sequence:

Rugby - 3 min
    Athletics - 3 min
    Cycling - 3 min
    Tennis - 3 min
    Beach Volleyball - 1 min
    Soccer (US women's league) - 1 min
    Soccer (Premiership) - 30 seconds
    Soccer (Scottish) - 30 seconds
    Soccer (other) - red button text summary
    Golf - website only

Does anyone have any further suggestions before I send this to Feedback?

Ah, yes, rugby. Might as well put on Robot Wars.
  • lemon63
    Just to reiterate, especially for the gents north of the border, I'm in Wales & support a championship side - hence the rant.
  • I know very little about football and care even less (much to the dismay of my father), nonetheless I'm farily sure they don't have a national league in Wales and have to borrow England's :D
    Coffee is not my cup of tea

Moda Fresco track racer
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6 winter commuter
    Gunnar Hyper X
    Rocky Mountain ETSX
    Cannondale Scalpel 3000 (retro-bike in bits)
    Lemond Poprad Disc, now retired pending frame re-paint.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    lemon63 wrote:
    Just to reiterate, especially for the gents north of the border, I'm in Wales & support a championship side - hence the rant.

BBC news have never gave the championship results as they DONT matter as this would explain why you have your own show after MOTD shown at some god awful time in the early hours of the morning.

Mickey Mouse league (SPL) as you call it ? - Well lets talk about the Premiership. Realistically ONLY 3 sides will ever win the League. Man U,Chelsea,Man City, Minnie Mouse League perhaps ??? :roll:
  • Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Mickey Mouse league (SPL) as you call it ? - Well lets talk about the Premiership. Realistically ONLY 3 sides will ever win the League. Man U,Chelsea,Man City, Minnie Mouse League perhaps ??? :roll:

The last time any team other than Rangers or Celtic won the Scottish top flight league was 1985. In that time the English league has been won by eight different teams.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

The last time any team other than Rangers or Celtic won the Scottish top flight league was 1985. In that time the English league has been won by eight different teams.

I said premiership.....The premiership is NOT 25 years old, your including the old 1st division. As is now and for the immediate future nobody else outwith the 3 teams i mentioned will ever win the premiership again.
  • Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

I said premiership.....The premiership is NOT 25 years old, your [sic] including the old 1st division. As is now and for the immediate future nobody else outwith the 3 teams i mentioned will ever win the premiership again.

I'm quite aware that the Premiership is not 25 years old thank you, which is why I used the the phrase 'top flight' and just referred to the 'English league'. My point was that the English league is (or has been) a bit more of an open competition than the Scottish league in recent years. I'm not sure what your point was though.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

I said premiership.....The premiership is NOT 25 years old, your [sic] including the old 1st division. As is now and for the immediate future nobody else outwith the 3 teams i mentioned will ever win the premiership again.

I'm quite aware that the Premiership is not 25 years old thank you, which is why I used the the phrase 'top flight' and just referred to the 'English league'. My point was that the English league is (or has been) a bit more of an open competition than the Scottish league in recent years. I'm not sure what your point was though.

Oh Really - What between basically TWO teams Man Utd & Chelsea...Yes a bit more open NOT !!! :roll:
  • Now you're contradicting yourself.
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Realistically ONLY 3 sides will ever win the League. Man U,Chelsea,Man City,
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Oh Really - What between basically TWO teams Man Utd & Chelsea...

I'm not trying to say that the English league is a free-for-all and can be won by anybody but at least there is a bit more competition than there is in Scotland.
  • Gazzetta67
    Now you're contradicting yourself[/b].
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Realistically ONLY 3 sides will ever win the League. Man U,Chelsea,Man City,
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Oh Really - What between basically TWO teams Man Utd & Chelsea...

I'm not trying to say that the English league is a free-for-all and can be won by anybody but at least there is a bit more competition than there is in Scotland.

Ok well then if your going to nit pick - Yes i did mention Man City - They only won the league in the last second of the final league game, But it's generally between Man Utd & Chelsea. Here we go again "A Bit more competition" England has a population of nearly 60 million, Scotland has 5 million so your saying its generally only Celtic & Rangers winning things. so were is all the other competition outwith Chelsea and Man Utd (and yes again for all their Millions Man City) they were lucky to win last gear.so you would call the same top 2 or 3 teams fighting it out each year "healthy competition" :roll: