Route Planning websites

alpsguy
alpsguy Posts: 9
edited November 2012 in Tour & expedition
Hi There,

I'm trying to find a decent website for planning my route from where I work in the French Alps back to my home in North Devon next spring. I have tried Garmin Connect and a few others. They each seem to have their own advantages and disadvantages but nothing has quite 'hit the spot' as yet.

Do you have any recommendations? One key criteria is the gradient planning as this will influence the daily ride time/distance.

Thanks in advance

Guy

Comments

• The more you spend - the faster you go - the less you see.
  • DaveL
    DaveL Posts: 188
    Never tried a route that long, but the one I usually use is GPSies.com

Dave
  • maringirl
    maringirl Posts: 195
    mapmyride
    bikehike
  • Probably not the way you want to plan it Guy, but for me this would be an excellent project over the winter months sitting in front of the fire with PAPER road maps in front of me. Nothing beats the fact that this would be a route that you picked, and not a computer. Having chosen some routes, you can always use a route planning website to look at milages/altitude etc.
    I'm not getting old... I'm just using lower gears......
    Sirius - Steel Reynolds 631
    Cove Handjob - Steel Columbus Nivacrom
    Trek Madone - Carbon
  • I've tried a couple of sites when planning rides from wales to spain and every time have resorted to good old maps big scale motoring road atlas seems to work best. Having done the ride a couple of times now with people of different fitness levels I found that if we cycled for about 6 hours a day we covered an average of about 75 miles fully loaded some days 45 others 90 we did'ent book accomadation but sorted it out on arrival mainly camping. Having no deadline to meet each day helped a great deal with moral. Have a great trip Andy
    Training for the Cycle to Spain and the Quebrantahuesos
    www.seeyouinspain.co.uk