Mondonico Diamond Columbus SL

nosnibor77
nosnibor77 Posts: 5
edited October 2012 in Road general
Hi

I just wanted some advise and opinions as i'm in many minds what to do.

Restore to original spec, or modernize bike for weekly use?

ideas?

Cheers

Ross

Comments

• ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Advise?
  • What?
  • Up to you... a Columbus Sl would deserve restoring... there is an interesting scene of events for vintage cycles... l'Eroica in Tuscany, The Anjou in France, the Retroronde in the Flanders... there is a renessaince. A well maintained 1970-80s bike is just as good as a good moder bike and the performance is very similar.

Of course, if you want to use it to go to work in the rain, you might as well cold set it to 130 mm and fit some sub standard ugly modern components and mudguards
    left the forum March 2023
  • Cheers

I got a quote for £600 respray new decals and chrome forks.
    Just not sure what components to dress it with.
  • nosnibor77 wrote:
    Cheers

I got a quote for £600 respray new decals and chrome forks.
    Just not sure what components to dress it with.

That's excessive... a top quality respray should cost 150 pounds... decals around 30 pounds... rechroming is expensive and not really necessary. You could go for a sprayed fork instead.

Components, well you should be able to find a Campagnolo groupset NOS or in excellent conditions for 500 pounds or so on Ebay... what period is the bike? 126 or 130 mm rear dropouts?

Otherwise you can buy mixed components and spend a lot less
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    £600 for a respray? You can buy a NOS frame for that money. Choice of components is down to your budget.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Two colour fade with re chrome of forks. Where can I get an 90's NOS
    Mondonico diamond?
  • nosnibor77 wrote:
    Two colour fade with re chrome of forks. Where can I get an 90's NOS
    Mondonico diamond?

Monty's point is that you can get a 1980s SL NOS for that money... I am Italian and have never heard of Mondonico (except for the football manager) so, although the frame is beautiful, I am not sure spending 600 pounds to restore it, is good value... it's your money

I got this respray last year for less than 200 including decals

DSC_0155.jpg