Replacement wheels for a Boardman Hybrid Pro

holroyd74
holroyd74 Posts: 20
edited October 2012 in The workshop
Hi all.

Having recently purchased a Boardman Hybrid Pro for my 30 mile daily commute, i decided it would be wise to have a spare wheelset made up. I had some spare American classic hubs laced up to some mavic tn 317 rims. The new wheels were put on the bike and all was well.

It was only when i came to fit some full length mudguards that i became aware of a problem. The new wheels weren't central in the dropouts. At first i thought that there was a problem with the frame, until i realised what the OCR on the original Ritchey wheels meant! Up till that point i had never heard of an off centre rim.

Has anybody else encountered this problem when replacing one of the stock wheels on a Boardman Hybrid which has the Ritchey Disc OCR wheels fitted.

If so.. what rims or wheels did you purchase to overcome this problem.

All comments appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    OCR rims should still be in the same place relative to the dropouts as normal rims. If you look at normal disc rims though, you will see that the spokes start further away from the droupout on the left hand side (to make room for the disc), meaning that the angle of the spokes is different on left/right of the wheel. The OCR rims mean that the nipples of the spokes dont attach to the center of the rim, meaning that the spokes can be either the same angle on both sides, or at least closer to it. This means more even stress on the spokes (I think that is the reason for OCR). But because the nipples arent in the center of the rim, the rim itself is still central.

Your new wheels are wrong if they arent central on the dropouts...
  • Thanks for clearing that up. I was struggling to get my head round the concept of the OCR rims.

I shall be taking the rear wheel back to the bike shop where it was built, to see what they have to say .

Thanks again.