Taking a Bike to the U.S.

oxocube1
oxocube1 Posts: 651
edited November 2012 in MTB general
I'm lucky enough to have a brother who works in South Lake Tahoe, California as a ski instructor during the winter, and he also lives there over the summer months. I may possibly be making a trip over there next summer to do some biking because the area is fantastic for it.

I figured it would be cheaper to fly my own bike over rather than renting one as i would most likely stay for at least 2 weeks and go biking almost everyday (plus i could not ride a bike with the rear brake on the right!).

I had a quick look at the American Airlines site and they said it was $150 (£90) to fly one over but said "One non-motorized touring or racing bike". Im not sure if they allow MTBs or not? I was just wondering if anyone has ever flown over to the States with a bike, which airline it was with and what the allowances/cost were etc?

Cheers.

Comments

• Normally they give a weight allowance that you have to work with. Some also have size limits. As long as your bike is within these then your fine. Well to the US anyhow. Some places do not like MTBs due to there off road nature and the possibility for contamination. A good example of this is Australia.
  • took a mountain bike to LA with air New Zealand, last year, no problems, just make sure its WELL packaged and protected there is a list on their website, also made sure it was clean and tyres went full of mud etc. Paid "Sports equipment" rate which was about £30 might be different now tho.
  • Just come back from New York with my bike. I flew with American (never again) but the tickets were bought through BA's website(bloody code sharing) I used a Polar plastic bike case, although many have said that getting the OEM cardboard box from a bike shop is also viable. The whole lot weighed under 23kg, so I took it as my luggage. It's pedals off, seat off, and bars turned sideways and lifted off the headstock. As I went with the Mrs, we shared her baggage allowance(I got the top left corner for all my stuff) for clothes etc.

Coming back, the US Security opened the box - if it had been locked I believe they would have broken it apart. While it was 'oversize' luggage American didn't charge, although they tried to on the way back. I argued/pleaded successfully. Due to the additional security 'search' the bike didn't make my flight and was couriered over the next afternoon and delivered to my home.

I'd say go well dressed, smile nicely at the check in person, be polite and they may let you off the excess baggage/bike charge.
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    Awesome, cheers for the responses guys. £30 is pretty good if I had to pay but including it in my allowance would be great! So just to double check, you don't have to let them know before hand (i.e. when you book the flight), you just turn up to check in with the bike in a box?
  • I just turned up with my bike in a box,s miled nicely and took it from there. It's not the first time they've ever seen a bike in a box so they know what's what.

I suspect the excess baggage thing is a game they play and talk about in the canteen afterwards.
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    I'd check your carriers website or give them a quick call first. Not worth risking turning up and there being an issue with your luggage.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Just be careful with what you put in the box. Ive been caught with 'free' sports equipment carriage, that I then got stung for having put some other bits in there even though it was under the weight limit.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Check their policy on the website, print it off along with any payment confirmation you may have then have it handy when you check in... just in case.

I used to travel all over the place kitesurfing, you think travelling with a bike is problematic - at least they know what that is! The favourite trick is to wave you through on the way out with no problems then sting you on the way back.

The problem I had with my kite gear was the word 'surf' - this led to them looking on their checklist for the only similar thing which as 'surfboard' or 'windsurfer' - may £'s excess baggage on some airlines...
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • clamps81
    clamps81 Posts: 315
    I've just gotten back from there with my MTB. Used an evoc bike bag and weight was about 28kg each way as I had my full face and a few other bits in there with it. Flying with BA and paid 40 quid at Heathrow on the way out and $60 at Philly on the the way back. The bag was actually over the stated max allowable dimensions on the way back (don't ask me why it was different, I've no idea!) but the lady at check in didn't ask any questions. Had it searched at customs on the way in and found a note from the TSA when I pulled it out of the bag on sunday to say they'd searched it then as well.

Would absolutely second the advice RE phoning them and talking about it first - if you can do it via email and get it all via writing then all the better. Also, check if the airport you're flying to/from has a dedicated oversize bag drop that you may have to use or any other such nonsense and allow additional time for any faffing about that this might entail as well any searches they might want to do.
    Nukeproof Mega AM

Tomac Snyper - Now sadly in pieces
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I have flown with bikes lots including to Canada (not been to US) - never had a problem using either a bike bag or bike box (last week flew into Calgary with a bike box). Airline charged me 45 quid as excess baggage.

The main thing I would say is make sure your bike is clean - the US get very uppity about people shipping dirt from UK farms and potentially bringing infection to their farms. And a US customs guy taking exception to your bike could lead to his fist taking exception to your a-hole! :shock:

Let the air out of tyres and shocks to make the desk person happy and I don't see a problem.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Hi Guys / Gals

My wife is going to to fly from the US to UK with my Ski Bike :D
    med-green-brawler.jpg
    My concern is the rear shock It's a Fox Vanilla "I Think" and I do believe that this shock has a Nitrogen charge in it? If so what is the pressure?

My main concern is the final paragraph taken from Air New Zealand's web site (That's who she's flying with )
    What you guys think? Will I have a problem?

Some airlines mention shocks some don't?

Anyone had a bike stopped being checked in on an airline?

Cheers
    Rolfy

Bicycles

Bicycles can be checked in as part of your baggage allowance provided they are correctly packed. As a minimum, prepare the bike as follows:
    Turn in or remove the handlebars and pedals. On bicycles where the pedals cannot be turned in or removed, sufficient padding must be provided around the pedals to prevent the pedals damaging other customers' baggage.
    Wrap the whole bicycle in a plastic bag, corrugated cardboard or equivalent. Alternatively the bike may be packaged in a purpose built bike box
    If necessary, wrap the chain to prevent grease transferring to other baggage
    Deflation of the tyres is not necessary.
    Some bicycle items may be classed as dangerous goods. For example, CO2 cartridges for inflating bicycle tyres contain compressed gas and are not permitted as checked or cabin baggage.
    Mountain bikes may be fitted with struts containing compressed nitrogen gas. These bikes can only be accepted as checked baggage if the gas pressure does not exceed 200KPa (Kilopascal), or 29 PSI (Pounds per square inch).
  • "sorry had missed a section of the Bicycles paragraph"
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The pressure thing is a complete non issue, the drop in hold pressure ads a 'whopping' 3psi to the effective pressure in tyres/suspension.....I've shipped plenty of cars and never had to do anything for them....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The pressure thing is a complete non issue, the drop in hold pressure ads a 'whopping' 3psi to the effective pressure in tyres/suspension.....I've shipped plenty of cars and never had to do anything for them....

You can airship cars now? Wow I hadn't heard that before, must be expensive.