Recommend me spd pedals ?

RandG
RandG Posts: 779
edited November 2012 in MTB beginners
As it says on the tin, I've been using single sided spd's/touring pedals but looking to buy double sided pedals now, so what's recommended ??

Comments

• Shimano M530s are good (MTB specifc) pedals for a reasonable price.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Shimano M520's - I love them. Used caged spds before but I never liked the feel of them. They can be had for around £17 including cleats.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Shimano M520 nice and cheap but the M540's are a little bit lighter, last longer and are easier to strip and service.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I used to use these - good combo of platform and clip, never had issues mud clogging but not the cheapest.http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=4516
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Shimano M530s are good (MTB specifc) pedals for a reasonable price.

+1

or M785's if you're a - feeling flush or b - wanna shed some g's
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    WindyG wrote:
    Shimano M520 nice and cheap but the M540's are a little bit lighter, last longer and are easier to strip and service.

I think the M540's also need allen key for fitting.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    How's that an issue?

M520s for solid reliability, M540s for slightly lighter weight.
  • zx6man
    Its not, just pointing out you may have to purchase a decent size allen key for them too.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Been really impressed with some Ritcheys on my MTB, now out of production, but similar weight to XT's, unclip loads are lighter than my Shimano yet the retention is just as good, better still I got them for £13 as end of line!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • zx6man wrote:
    Its not, just pointing out you may have to purchase a decent size allen key for them too.

m520s can be fitted with either allen key or spanner, are 540s not the same?
  • zx6man
    540's dont have then barrel to accept a spanner, its a smooth shaft. unless the nut near the platform can be used but not so sure
  • RandG
    M530's arrived today, fitted, and out I went for a night ride. Excellent straight out the box, no adjusting at all. Happy.com :D
  • RandG wrote:
    M530's arrived today, fitted, and out I went for a night ride. Excellent straight out the box, no adjusting at all. Happy.com :D

Good choice. Glad you like them. I used those for mtb and road and always found I was locked in when I needed to be and out when I needed to escape.
  • zx6man
    Whats the benefit of the "Edging" on the 530's over the 520's?
  • I think it's pointless, just extra weight.
  • WindyG
    zx6man wrote:
    540's dont have then barrel to accept a spanner, its a smooth shaft. unless the nut near the platform can be used but not so sure

Yep just undo the nut, on the 520's you need the correct tool to do it but there are only a few quid.
  • WindyG wrote:
    zx6man wrote:

Yep just undo the nut, on the 520's you need the correct tool to do it but there are only a few quid.

Eh?

540s need a Allen key, 8mm from behind the crank arm. 520s use a regular 15mm spanner to take them off. The nut near the pedal is for the bearings.
  • WindyG
    Sorry I thought he meant about servicing them otherwise yes they are as you said fitting wise.
  • RandG
    zx6man wrote:
    Whats the benefit of the "Edging" on the 530's over the 520's?

No real idea, although at a guess, it's slightly easier to pedal without being clipped in with the 530's than the 520's :?

Who cares, not I, as for extra weight :lol: I do laugh at the weight demons, I'm 15 stone, a few grams here or there on my pedals won't make much difference :roll:
  • zx6man