2 Powerlinks on 1 chain ?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey guys :)

I bought a new PC991 chain and a couple of extra power links for it.

My brother told me how to split the chain and basically he told me wrong so I split it too short.

With the few links that was left over I salvaged from that the 3 more that I needed and made the chain the correct length but now its joined together with 2 power links as in the picture below:

chainp.jpg

Can someone tell me if this is ok to use like that ? will 2 power II links so close together be a problem with the chain rings or going up and down the cassette or am I good to go with this ?

Cheers in advance :D

Comments

• Anonymous
    Yeeeha :D awesome thanks for that, now I can go get some miles done.

Cheers :D
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I have exactly the same on my current chain and it's been fine - lasted well over a year. I look at it as a positive - if the chain snaps I've always got a spare pwerlink, even if the resulting chain will be a bit short it will get me home.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Its fine to have two of the correct links for your chain as people have said
    CubeCrazy wrote:
    chainp.jpg

But but it looks like you may have accidental put 8 speed links on a 9 speed chain. Though it is rather hard to tell from the photo. If you take a close up of the link it self I could tell you more.
  • Anonymous
    Thanks a lot guys :D

And oh wow Ayton *bows* what cool spotting there ! thanks very much :mrgreen:

Until today mate I didnt even know there was such thing as a 8 or 9 speed power link, I assumed they was all the same but I remember I gave my bro a new link once when he broke down and he bought me a replacement and I guess he slipped me a 8 speed link instead of a 9 speed one.

I checked and you were right, the power links on my chain, one half was 9 speed mating to the other half which was a 8 speed link lol.

33287282.jpg

I thought they was a bit hard to get on and off :lol:

Both sides now 9 speed powerlinks and clip on and off easy.

Thanks for saving my bacon yet again fellas :D
  • Nice to know im not totally blind yet :P Glad you got it sorted in the end CubeCrazy :)
  • I sometimes wonder why chains are just made from powerlinks... they're never the bit that snaps :lol:
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I sometimes wonder why chains are just made from powerlinks... they're never the bit that snaps :lol:

You were saying

8132635926_55973416c4_c.jpg
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Ah but that's a Sram one. Should have been KMC
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and if you can be bothered googling you will find just about anything broken.

;)
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I deliberately run my chains with 2 powerlinks one inner link apart so I'm carrying an extra spare inner/outer pair (on top of what I carry anyway.....)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Anonymous
    Thanks a lot guys for your help and advice on this one, I can see it makes total sense that when one gets a new chain its wise to split it twice and add an extra power link so if you do brake down on the trail you have an extra link to get you back, very clever and it's something I will always do now when I buy a new chain :D
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    nicklouse wrote:
    and if you can be bothered googling you will find just about anything broken.

;)

Thats not off Google thats my very own fair hand. Its the first one I have broken since I started using them about 10 years or so ago. Took me a few minutes to untangle the chain and I had to push the pin through the link with my multi tool so I could get it apart. Put it all together again with a link and clicked my way home luckily mostly downhill.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I've broken several Power Links, which considering they represent less than 1% of the chain isn't great odds.

They're good, but not as strong as a normal link.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    I may be going mental, but how having 2 on will it help a snapped chain?
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Hang on, one inner link apart, the penny has now dropped!! I'll get my coat...
  • Anonymous
    zx6man wrote:
    Hang on, one inner link apart, the penny has now dropped!! I'll get my coat...
    :lol::lol: