Mixing 5 and 15wt fork oil to make 10wt oil

stubs
stubs Posts: 5,001
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I am servicing my Fox forks and need some 10wt oil for the lowers. Just been to the Motorbike shop for some and F*** me they wanted £20 for a litre. I have some 15wt and some 5wt so was thinking of mixing the two to make 10wt but my brain cant work out what proportions I need of the two.

Is it as simple as a 50/50 mix :oops:
Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yep, 50/50! Assuming they are what they say, they can vary a bit in actual weight.
  • stubs
    supersonic wrote:
    Yep, 50/50! Assuming they are what they say, they can vary a bit in actual weight.

Cheers Sonic I will get the syringes out. It is Stendec Crystal fork oil do you know if it is as rated on the bottle.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Not sure - i think we have a chart in the FAQ.

To be honest, for lube duties it doesn't make too much difference, the damper is more critical.
  • stubs
    I had a look in the Technical FAQs before but couldnt find anything unless its titled under something else. Its only for the lower leg lube its a FIT fork which I believe the damping oil is in a seperate chamber so should be okay.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I've mixed that exact brand of oil, 5 and 15wt to make 10wt and it was a success. Damping is as it was prior to swapping the fluid.

You shouldn't have a problem.
  • stubs
    All done and dusted got nice squelchy forks, now just need the weather to play nice so I can go and test them out.