Strange Food

Secteur
Secteur Posts: 1,971
edited October 2012 in The cake stop
Last night, for dessert, the missus brought me fresh pineapple with cold custard. Not sure if she is inspired or a bit crazy.

Comments

• you can get these in pots from morrisons.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Secteur
    Really?

It didnt taste too bad, actually, but it did leave an odd aftertaste!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Fruit and custard. How bizarre.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    Tried squid last week, yuk!
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,360
    Try Kaviar. No, not Caviar. Its this cheesy stuff that comes in a metal tube like tomato puree that the Scandewegians buy and squeeze it onto Knakebrod (like Ryvita but hullavalot tastier and more varied).
    It looks like a bad night out after getting pissed on Egg Nog and having the munchies for Rice Pudding when it comes out of the tube.
    Absolutley and inexorably disgusting. The most foul concoction ever invented.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    Try Kaviar. No, not Caviar. Its this cheesy stuff that comes in a metal tube like tomato puree that the Scandewegians buy and squeeze it onto Knakebrod (like Ryvita but hullavalot tastier and more varied).
    It looks like a bad night out after getting pissed on Egg Nog and having the munchies for Rice Pudding when it comes out of the tube.

Try going to Korea for some local delicacies.. Marinated Sea Slug, (vaguely jellyfish-ish), or perhaps worse, a breakfast specialty: abalone porridge. Has the colour and consistency of wet concrete, with the fragrance of shellfish left in the sun for, oh, a week too long.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675

it is not Cheesy. there is no cheese in it.

Unless it is Kalles Randiga which does contain cheese.

After 11 years in Seden I do miss it a bit. But as Ikea stocks it it can be had.

http://www.kalles.se/

But yes it is a bit like Marmite.

if you want bad then this is it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcnfEVqNdoA
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Secteur
    I remember seeing on QI about a Scandanavian delicacy of rotten herring which comes in tins and is meant to be one of the most nasally offensive foods in the world, so much so that the cans need to be opened underwater!

Cant remember what this food was called though, but sounds awful!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Secteur wrote:
    I remember seeing on QI about a Scandanavian delicacy of rotten herring which comes in tins and is meant to be one of the most nasally offensive foods in the world, so much so that the cans need to be opened underwater!

Cant remember what this food was called though, but sounds awful!
    see the youtube link above.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    cooldad wrote:
    Fruit and custard. How bizarre.

I went to a market in Morocco where the stalls only sold fruit, custard, jelly and sponge fingers.

I thought it was a trifle bazaar.

The older I get, the better I was.

• mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    hahahahahahaha...i thought that was really funny :)
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Anyone tried natto? It's slightly decomposed soy beans, a real delicacy in Japan... You mix it with a bit of soy sauce and some karashi (like mustard)...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • pinno
    nicklouse wrote:

After 11 years in Sweden I do miss it a bit. But as Ikea stocks it it can be had.

Yep, I have had Gravlax. Swollen fermented rotting fish in a tin. Lovely.
    Made the misstake or should I say misdag of serving myself some at Jultid and had to drown it with buckets of Bechamel sauce to wash it down. Next time, 'Gravlax pa dej', Nej tack, jag ar sjuk, hungrig inte jag inte. (Missing letters on the keyboard).
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    nicklouse wrote:

After 11 years in Sweden I do miss it a bit. But as Ikea stocks it it can be had.

Made the misstake or should I say misdag of serving myself some at Jultid and had to drown it with buckets of Bechamel sauce to wash it down. Next time, 'Gravlax pa dej', Nej tack, jag ar sjuk, hungrig inte jag inte. (Missing letters on the keyboard).

That's not Gravlax, Gravlax is Salmon, cold cured with salt, sugar, lemon and dill. Nom nom nom :D
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Durian - A fruit which is considered a delicasy in Indonesia and other parts of the Far East. You suck the slime off the nuts inside the fruit, its like sucking snot off a brussel sprout - The trouble is the smell, can only be described like the bottom of a council wheely bin during summer - absolutely disgusting. The smell is sooo bad that the fruit is banned from hotels and aeroplanes (even in the hold!). I remember being delayed for 2 hours in Sumatra once while they unloaded all the bagage out of the hold as some idjit had one in their bag and the whole plane stank.
    Disgusting things.
    Battaglin C11
    Carrera LRS2
    Carrera Jabberwock
    Kona Paddy wagon fixed
    Carlton Catalina
  • pinno
    MattC59 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

That's not Gravlax, Gravlax is Salmon, cold cured with salt, sugar, lemon and dill. Nom nom nom :D

Yep, you're right. Its Lutfisk (long week, no jetlag to blame it on!). Got Gravlax from a smoke house once in Hjo. Was very good.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    Considered strange by a lot of people I know is herring roe. These are the soft roes, they look like little white livers and are soft and squidgy, but after being lightly fried in a little butter, they take on a pate-like texture and are delicious with some lemon juice and brown bread.

I was given them as a kid and they were my favourite food then. I still love them but they are not easy to find. you can get them frozen/defrosting in Tesco's sometimes, and they are worth buying if only to see the look on the face of the person that has to weigh them out ("you eat "these?" :lol: )

The older I get, the better I was.