fox dhx rc2 setup..

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I was just writing down my shock settings and I've noticed i'm using pretty much 100% rebound!!

Is this normal? (open ended question I know..)

I tend to mess with the shock settings as i'm riding to see what works, on my last uplift I decided I needed quicker rebound but can't if its at max anyway.

What's the alternative?
Softer/harder spring?
Less/more preload?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    options. custom valveing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I was just writing down my shock settings and I've noticed i'm using pretty much 100% rebound!!

Is this normal? (open ended question I know..)

I tend to mess with the shock settings as i'm riding to see what works, on my last uplift I decided I needed quicker rebound but can't if its at max anyway.

What's the alternative?
    Softer/harder spring?
    Less/more preload?

If your using a 100% rebound it sound like you have it set up way to slow or you possibly have a problem.

You will normally try have a rear shock as quick as possible with it still being controllable. This is to get the maximum grip by maximising wheel contact and suspension usage. If you are trying to make it too show your suspension will not be working as it should.

If your shock is just far to fast in general this could be one of many things. First is your shock could just be old and require a service. As shocks get older the oil turns in to something more like foam and does not do its job any more. The other thing could be its simply the wrong shock or more so have the wrong internal vale/shim setup for the application your using it for.
  • By 100% rebound, I mean its as fast as possible, not slow....

Had a play today, started with everything in the middle and tuned it from there.

Now using a bit less preload, slightly more low speed compression, quite a bit more bottom out pressure and rebound is now set 2 clicks towards faster from the middle.
    Feels plusher, faster and better matched to the front now (got a few PB's on Strava this morning!).

Still can't seem to stop the rear from dropping away on drops and jumps though.. grr.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    By 100% rebound, I mean its as fast as possible, not slow....
    100% means all!! so you are using NONE.

why change the preload? was the sag wrong?

and making the rebound faster will allow the rear end to drop away faster.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • lol, yeah sorry then, had zero rebound damping! Always confuses me which way to explain it... I always think 100% fast, dunno why.

Preload was reduced to match sag yeah.. I've lost a bit of weight :) Now using a softer spring in the forks too.

I always thought that to stop it dropping the rebound had to be faster! Although, I overheard that from the guys from Mojo, and probably got it wrong because I think of it the wrong way way round!