What Bike Rack?

manchester
manchester Posts: 22
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm after a Bike Rack for my car, and am not overly keen on the ones that go on the roof. So ideally it would be one that attaches via the boot.

I've got a BMW 318 (E90), so would like opinions of other BMW drivers who've got a bike rack, and also the general opinions of those with bike racks as to what make that I should be looking at.

Cheers in advance :)

Comments

• bowden769
    bowden769 Posts: 143
    Saris bones. Best rack out ther.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    bowden769 wrote:
    Saris bones. Best rack out ther.
    +Potato.
    I use one on my Golf, and also on a Peugoeot 206, and on my old 306. Great racks.
  • I've read a few reviews lads, and quite a few complain about rubbing paintwork.

Is this true, or have you found ways around it?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I don't think it damages the paintwork, however, with my cars, scratched paintwork would be pretty hard to spot!
  • Nobby Nic
    Nobby Nic Posts: 119
    I had a Saris Bones and its brilliant but it wouldn`t fit my Frame once I got a full Suspension Bike (Whyte 146).
    Highly recommended if the above dosen`t apply. There is also the option of the bike beam, an add-on the creates a false top tube for awkward frames but it can`t be used practically with a reverb seat post, as it would require the bike suspended from it. HTH.
    I ended up buying a towbar mounted carrier, its pretty good.
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165477
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I use the bike beam with my Marin wolf ridge(s), and a norco six, with no issues. I have a Joplin on my main bike, and it causes no issue whatsoever.
  • Nobby Nic
    Nobby Nic Posts: 119
    I use the bike beam with my Marin wolf ridge(s), and a norco six, with no issues. I have a Joplin on my main bike, and it causes no issue whatsoever.

Do you have a reverb fitted ? I got advised not to use with a reverb. This was the answer (below) I got when I enquired, I had also read elsewhere that bikes were not to be suspended from it as per my last post.
    Maybe it would be ok but I thought it best not to risk it given the advice.

From CRC
    "Thank you for your email.

Dropper posts such as the Reverb are not designed to sustain any 'hanging' load so I would certainly recommend that you do not us a Bike Beam with it. Any sustained directional load (other than rider weight) on a dropper post can cause damage to the internal workings and the hydraulic seals.

If you find it necessary to us the Bike Beam I would suggest that you use an old or buy a cheap seatpost for that purpose only."
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I have a Joplin 4, which predates the reverb.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    If I am honest, I would not buy a boot lid rack. I am currently borrowing one (until my tow bar mounted, stand on arrives) and it is dire.

Unless, you tie down the bikes to the rack murder tight, they just flop around like a.....

This post may be of interest.

viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12880418
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    Yeah, I've had a couple of boot mouted racks and eventually you'll not get the pedals in the right position and they'll scratch the paint, or you'll not clean the car where the rubber 'shoes' sit and that will scratch the paint or the bikes will rub together and scratch their paint...

I bit the bullet and wen't for roof mounted which is great, but not great looking. The tow bar ones look good if you have room to store it.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    There's no way the pedals will scratch your car on a Saris.
    Your mountain bike will get scratched anyway. It's a mountain bike.
    Live with it.
  • dhooper7
    dhooper7 Posts: 156
    I've been carrying my bikes around with me for 10 years and have had both boot and roof racks.

I would never go back to putting them on the boot. It damages the car no matter what make you go for, it makes the boot inaccessible and is less secure.

I have currently have a Thule roof kit and think it's great. Takes 3 minutes to fit/remove and the bikes are really secure up there.

Love it
    2011 Specialized Enduro Comp
    2014 Boardman Hybrid Comp
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I can still open my boot with the rack on it!
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I wanted a bones but you have to have a saloon type car to fit it and so I got the Bike Porter 3 instead, spot on quality, attaches well and does what is expected.

I was a tad worried about pedals contacting the tailgate of my CRV so I put an old woolly sock over the ones adjacent to the car.

Saris is top kit, the bike porter will also fit but the bones looks like simpler attachment.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Got a tow hook put on the back of my focus for 220 and a Thule 2 bike rack to sit on that plus a lighting board for 65. This is by far the lowest risk solution for me and would recommend it if you can afford the hook. I guess the guy who buys the car will think I've been dragging a caravan around => engine bgrred and expect a discount.
  • Saris Bones is brilliant. Can get both my hardtail and full sus on it no probs. Its a doddle to fit and certainly had no issue with paint scratching or anything either.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    t0pc4t wrote:
    I wanted a bones but you have to have a saloon type car to fit it
    Nope, it fits virtually everything. From hatchbacks, to saloons, to estates, to vans, to Audi TTs.
  • Cheers lads, seems the Saris Bones is the right way to go. But to watch that the pedals don't touch my car.
  • After seeing this post i opted for the Saris Bones looked on amazon and there was one for £83 in grey.http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listin ... dition=all
    2012 Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x (MTB)
    2011 Cannondale CAAD 10 (Road)
  • I quite like the look of the Saris RS