Garmin 800 for Christmas or wait?

Rulebritania
Rulebritania Posts: 209
edited December 2012 in Road general
I have been trying to find an android app that will assist me navigate a course, but it seems technology has not caught up with the what I believe to be the best device on the market Garmin 800. I've trailed the forums read plenty of stuff about similar devices but it boils down to you get what you pay for.

I am wondering however if anyone on the grapevine has heard about any challengers in the first 1/4 of 2013 which will have a go at the Garm

This site tested the 800 in Feb 11 therefore I imagine that something else must come onto the market soon. But will it as the 7 series Garmin was tested in 08?

Any thoughts?
Don't call me sir I work for a living

Comments

• I'm in the same boat. It makes you think should I buy the 800 around Christmas is a new model just round the corner?

The fact the 800 is on sale on most online stores does suggest new models are on the way??
  • bowden769
    bowden769 Posts: 143
    Have u tried motion x app wise. It's very good
  • bowden769 wrote:
    Have u tried motion x app wise. It's very good

Nope is it on android and have you tried it? Does it let you plan a route
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    I doubt the 800 will be replaced soon - it does everything, perfectly.
  • paulg99
    paulg99 Posts: 55
    The thing with tech is that if you keep holding on for the next and greatest iteration of something you will never buy anything.

If the Garmin 800 does what you want and you can afford it, find the best current price and buy it.

If you must have the next one out, just sell the 800 and get it.
  • I know your right, I can get it with the trail bundle for £299 http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0049XTHE4/

I not a gadget freak just want great value for money, although it comes at a cost i.e buy the wife some new earrings from Beaverbrooks will get the price all in for £600.

What mapping should I go for when I I like to road cycle in the quieter country england roads?
  • I know your right, I can get it with the trail bundle for £299 http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0049XTHE4/

I not a gadget freak just want great value for money, although it comes at a cost i.e buy the wife some new earrings from Beaverbrooks will get the price all in for £600.

What mapping should I go for when I I like to road cycle in the quieter country england roads?

Osm
  • Fevmeister: er what is OSM mate?

I've just downloaded Navfree on my Samsung s2, has anyone used it or can recommend another so far I ain't had any success.
  • What mapping should I go for when I I like to road cycle in the quieter country england roads?
    The 1:50k OS mapping is excellent for that. Works well at various levels of zoom, and the road colour coding is, well, OS road colour coding, so it's pretty easy to work out what you're looking at. It also works a treat if you're looking to go off-road legally and need to play Hunt the Bridleway.

The free OpenStreetMap maps also work, but I personally find them a bit tricky to read, and the level of faffing about to get something that's actually got the data on it I want at the levels of zoom I want meant they didn't really cut it for me given that I had the 1:50k OS mapping bundled with the 800. IMHO, they're also hopeless for off-road, thanks to a poor level of completeness for legal rights of way, and way to much "I just kinda rode here, therefore it's a bike route" data. Still, they're a cheap (not free, unless you already have a spare micro SD card, or are planning to steal one) to the Garmin maps.
    Mangeur
  • nort757
    nort757 Posts: 104
    also dont forget that go outdoors will beat any price by 10%,i had the trail one a few weeks back from there
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I'm thinking of one for Christmas too. Quick question, I have Memory Maps UK OS 1:50 000 maps on pc, iPad and iPhone. Can I put these on the Garmin easily enough? I have them on disk...

Cheers

PP
  • swede54
    swede54 Posts: 20
    +1 for OSM. They get updated regularly and are free. I bought the OS maps with my 800 and used them once. I found all the clutter distracting. I've no idea if or when updated OS maps will be available or how much they will cost but mine are already out of date and are only a year old.
  • Fevmeister: er what is OSM mate?

I've just downloaded Navfree on my Samsung s2, has anyone used it or can recommend another so far I ain't had any success.

Open street making - google it

download for free and pop on the garmin, so really you only need the base model for £250 (unless you want gsc 10 and heart rate)
  • Mapping *
  • Fevmeister wrote:
    Mapping *

Just for a moment I thought..... Then I got it. So I wont need the trail bundle for road cycling then?
  • Noo osm is enough I think and gets great reviews! And the best thing is that it's free! Just buy the micro sd card and slide it on there then pop in the garmin!
  • Anything else as a wise tip or two, I take it the bike attachment don't come in the box?
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    Secteur wrote:
    I doubt the 800 will be replaced soon - it does everything, perfectly.
    :lol: When did such a consideration ever stop an electronics manufacturer producing a new "better" version?
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Android app to do what you want:

http://osmand.net/en/screenshots-menu.html
  • swede54 wrote:
    +1 for OSM. They get updated regularly and are free. I bought the OS maps with my 800 and used them once. I found all the clutter distracting. I've no idea if or when updated OS maps will be available or how much they will cost but mine are already out of date and are only a year old.
    Could you post a link to the map build you've used? Have never managed to find a workable map from OSM for my area.
    Mangeur
  • pastryboy wrote:
    Android app to do what you want:

http://osmand.net/en/screenshots-menu.html

Cheer mate, I'll give it a go. It does seem ok with maps and voices to download
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    swede54 wrote:
    Could you post a link to the map build you've used? Have never managed to find a workable map from OSM for my area.

Try here http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin
  • ian_s
    ian_s Posts: 183
    Anything else as a wise tip or two, I take it the bike attachment don't come in the box?

You get two in the box. Can buy more - they come in pairs as well.
    I think its worth having the rubber clamshell protector too.
  • Gazspurs
    Gazspurs Posts: 122
    I recently purchased (last week) the Mio Cyclo 305 & took it out for 60 plus miles on Saturday.

After reading the mixed reviews I was a little unsure but decided to purchase.

I have to say though I have been nothing but over the moon with it. I have hooked it up to the laptop & downloaded some routes for others, created my route to LeMans next year & used the 'Surprise Me' function for my ride out Saturday morning.

It has been very easy to use & the display function, sat nav guidance superb.

I can't compare to the 800 as never used one but certainly very happy with the Mio
  • swede54
    swede54 Posts: 20
    swede54 wrote:
    I use TalkyToaster
  • swede54 wrote:
    swede54 wrote:
    I use TalkyToaster
    That's where I've been :( Which of his maps do you use? I rather like them as an alternative, but struggle a bit when it comes to zooming out as a lot of the minor roads disappear.
    Mangeur
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    The 800 is far from perfect (shite screen resolution, cable connectivity still required, could be more responsive etc.) but I doubt there will be a new version out within the next few months, they have virtually zero competition so no big incentive to invest and innovate.
  • While I still think about whether to get one, I planned my route and set off having studied the OS map. Having an idea in my head where in the village or on the route to make the turn I was looking for the road name or signage for the next place and this worked well for me. Its ok However I will not be happy for long and complicated routes this would be confusing.
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    nferrar wrote:
    The 800 is far from perfect (shite screen resolution, cable connectivity still required, could be more responsive etc.) but I doubt there will be a new version out within the next few months, they have virtually zero competition so no big incentive to invest and innovate.

And all this for the thick end of £300!

The Android apps (of which there are a lot) may not be perfect but at least they are much much cheaper
  • lotus49 wrote:
    nferrar wrote:

And all this for the thick end of £300!

The Android apps (of which there are a lot) may not be perfect but at least they are much much cheaper

250 at handtec