MTB helmet for the road

vfast1
vfast1 Posts: 98
edited October 2012 in Road general
Recently bought my first road bike and was just wondering can i get away with wearing my mtb helmet or do you guys suggest buying a road specific one? Thanks

MAT
Winter Road - 2014 Boardman Sport
MTB - 2012 Canyon Nerve XC 7
Summer Road - 2012 Cannondale Supersix 105 Liquigas Colours

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    MTB helmet = Road Helmet* + Peak

*maybe with a different colour scheme

Just take off the peak (if you can) and ride. If you have a particularly low position the peak can obscure the top of your vision, but otherwise there is no difference. Peaks are useful in the winter when its wet or if there is a low sun so into the winter you may be better with it on.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • vfast1
    vfast1 Posts: 98
    Yeah ive taken off the peak. I presume its mainly a weight thing between mtb and road helemts?
    Winter Road - 2014 Boardman Sport
    MTB - 2012 Canyon Nerve XC 7
    Summer Road - 2012 Cannondale Supersix 105 Liquigas Colours
  • Not really some more expensive helmets are lighter.

At the end of the day they are both made of the same stuff and both have the same job to do.

if you are just starting out in road biking just use a mtb without visor as it can after "aero" however as you progress you may feel you need to upgrade but you may feel you don't
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Nope no difference between road and XC.helmets

Some more modern MTB helmets have more protection though, like the Giro Xen or Xar for example...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Used to take the peak of my old Giro MTB version, till I realised it was twice as heavy as some newer lids.

I used the road one for all purposes now....
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Depends on the lid my giro hex was not great on the road. Position of the vents created a lot of drag and the shape made it hard to see in the drops. Plus a lot of roadies suffer from OCD so they have to comment ;)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I use a Giro Havoc MTB lid for the commute and until recently my weekend riding as well. As others said, ince the visor is off it looks exactly the same as a road lid anyway.

The visor is actually very handy on the commute as at certain times of the year I am riding into the morning and evening sun. so I'd say for commuting purposes an MTB lid (or road lid with clip on visor) is the ideal.

As for weight, make no assumptions. My £50 Havoc is barely heavier than the (admittedly very lardy for its extortionate price) top range Giro Ionos.
    Faster than a tent.......