Road cycling around Brighton and the South Downs

sfichele
sfichele Posts: 605
edited October 2012 in Tour & expedition
Anyone got any recommendations for routes around the area?

Comments

• Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I know quite a few around Hastings and over towards Eastbourne, which overlaps the South Downs a bit, but I am not sure if that would help. Brighton is still another 15 or so miles further on from my outermost point west.
  • sfichele
    So I'm staying in Hurstpierpoint, which is north of Brighton. I've heard on the grapevine to avoid the A27 and A23 like the plague, and that it might be nicer to find routes north of the Downs.

@Hoopdriver, btw, nice blog!
  • I don't know the area fantastically weell, but I did a loop from Brighton that went through Hurstpierpoint. It included the Ditchling Beacon, Steyning Bostal and Devil's Dyke climbs, and was about 45 miles. Starting from Hurstepierpoint head towards Clayton via New Way Lane, then along Underhill lane to Ditchling Beacon. On the descent take a left just before the main road junction and go through a gravel car park and through Stanmer and the University campus...then south to Rottingdean, all the way along the coast to Shoreham airport, then north to Coombes and Steyning (this is a climb and descent back so can be omitted)..then Upper Beeding, Edburton, Fulking (pub!) and up to Devil's Dyke (pub!). Decend and follow the A281 and B2117 back to Hurstepierpoint. Great scenery and there is just one awkaward crossing of the A27 north of Shoreham airport. Sorry for the longwinded post, hope it helps!
  • sfichele
    Sounds great, cheers for the info