bike carrier fitting - is it right please?

danlightbulb
danlightbulb Posts: 701
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

First time Ive fitted a rear bike carrier, is this correct?

Thanks
Dan

3.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg
1a.jpg

Comments

• maringirl
    maringirl Posts: 195
    Can't really see from your pics but you shouldn't put the straps under the rear valance as it is only plastic - they should be under the lip of the boot as that is metal
  • Thanks, the bottom straps go under the bumper and onto some metal framework.

I was mainly concerned about how vertical it should be?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Never used a rack but I wouldn't be comfortable with something resting on the glass.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • If thats what the manual says....

Would put it in the boot tbh :lol:
  • cooldad
    If thats what the manual says....

Would put it in the boot tbh :lol:

+1 muddy but safe potato
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Boot is what ive always done too but with 3 of us going biking its a bit restrictive. That rack I've bought (off ebay, 2nd hand halfords one) holds 3 bikes up to 45kg.

Manual is pretty poor really, although various images from around the web also show these things resting on the glass (sometimes right in the middle). At least on mine its near the base which should be stronger. I can't go lower as wiper in the way.

I thought these things would be commonly used among the people on here!
  • cooldad
    I've always used roof racks but when my BM died I got a station wagon. Never used a rack so my advice is pointless. Should be interesting with three bikes though.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I'd try keying in the rack model number and Mondeo into Google images and see if anything came of it, to support you that you've fitted it correctly, or not.
    Certainly seems a little precarious to me :shock:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • About the best I can find:

product_229_sm.jpg

Went out with 2 bikes on it today. I can't see it holding 3 bikes unless the wheels are removed, which I think would be sensible anyway having driven with it on. Bikes were wobbling around a bit at 50 mph so I think some extra straps would be beneficial, however the rack itself seemed very stable on the car.

All in all, with wheels removed will hold 3 bikes so not bad.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Well, I'd say that from looking at the image, you must have it on right :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • maringirl
    Remember you should have a number plate & lighting board fitted when carrying bikes as you will be obscuring lights and reg plate which isn't legal.
  • cooldad
    The height of that thing all it's going to obscure is the sun.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • maringirl
    Yeah - see what you mean!!!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I thought these things would be commonly used among the people on here!
    Nope.

Lots of people use roof or tow bar mounted and the rest use Saris Bones.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • the only thing i'd look at would be moving the side strap down to the edge of the boot lid rather then at the side of the screen, - looking at the little picture looks like they go to the metal??
    unless you can play about with it a bit and adjust the angles of the rack to lower it down a little then its going to wobble with weight on due to the Height of it, no shelter from the back of the car like a lot, removing the wheels may help reduce that a bit,

make sure all the straps are Tight though, any movement will magnified with the weight on,
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    Looks like the 4 straps at the top use something wedged on the inside to secure them. Mine are like this. I made up one long wedge for the bottom straps and wedge them inside the boot. I would also look at dropping the top frame down the bottom part by drilling holes further down. This will drop the centre of gravity and you could move the support from the window to below the wiper. Watch out for the pedals catching the boot lid. This will also mean the bottom straps are shorter and less likely to move about. I use mine for 2 bikes with no problem (Seat Ibiza) weighing about 25kg.
    Obvious points:- check strap tension with the bikes on and only loosen minimum straps when taking off. Easier to put back on this way.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Straps should not be left to flap about and nice bike---not quite so nice car! :D
  • jeannot18
    jeannot18 Posts: 720
    Boot is what ive always done too but with 3 of us going biking its a bit restrictive. That rack I've bought (off ebay, 2nd hand halfords one) holds 3 bikes up to 45kg.!
    Could always pop to Halfords and ask for advice, after all you don't want the 3 bikes falling on the road/motorway, and damaging your car too
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
    Specialized Elite Allez with 105
    Rockrider 8.1 : )