I'm rubbish at Online Multiplayer!

bluedoggy
bluedoggy Posts: 284
edited November 2012 in The cake stop
battlefield, MW3 etc. I just don't get it? For every kill I die at least 100 times. I try, I really try! Can't be fucking bothered to be killed by a sweaty teenager any more. I give up! The end !!!:(
Wilier cento uno.

Comments

• upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    If you have an Xbox,I will buy it off you at a knockdown rate. :D
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    practice practice practice :lol:

When i was in my late teens, I used to play for great britain in an online game haha.. there was leagues and everything! .. it took up pretty much ALL of my time, used to finish work early so i could go home to warm up for matches.... oh god i miss my childhood!! :oops: :oops: :D
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Perhaps try? It takes a fair amount of time to get into the flow of the game. Where people camp - nade spots and general awareness.

After years of competitive play I started playing casually again a few months ago - I find that playing GunGame in CSS (basically 1level and 1 pistol rank per kill up to nade then knife victory) helps immensely with aim and sharpness.
  • And having the reactions of an 18 year old as opposed to a 50 something help immensely....

Well, that's what I tell myself.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Practice. I used to be useless and couldn't kill anyone (used to ArmA II which is more a simulator). I just perservered and I'm much better now!

If I start to play a different game, however, I have to start all over again...

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    I've only ever really played CS:S and now CS:GO online and I'm really not that great but I mitigate it by playing on servers with people in the same situation, that is people in their thirties who still like the odd game but don't take it too seriously. It is just a computer game after all.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    I've only ever really played CS:S and now CS:GO online and I'm really not that great but I mitigate it by playing on servers with people in the same situation, that is people in their thirties who still like the odd game but don't take it too seriously. It is just a computer game after all.
    How exactly do you find a server populated by agegroups? Couldn't you just turn off voice? I've never had it turned on in any source based game, bliss :D
  • Definitely comes with practice
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited October 2012
    If you have an Xbox,I will buy it off you at a knockdown rate. :D

Tbh - FPS on consoles is a sin, isn't it.

Once played a bit of Half Life (the first one). A level with a lot of boxes was a hit among me and the mates. Cracking game in multiplayer.

Haven't really kept the interest in the genre, though.
  • Fevmeister wrote:
    Definitely comes with practice

+1

I used to play in a Quakeworld variant and our team got to No 4 in Europe one year but that involved an insane amount of playing online in practice sessions and less so in public games. Consoles are completely different - the inaccuracy of the console controls vs keyboard and mouse means they tend to be spamfests and why you'll never find people competing or even playing in the same game when some have consoles and some have computers.

The youngest in our team was about 25 years old, and the oldest in their 40's - and all the really good ones were 35+

Its not really a generic age thing, but a matter of time which works in favour of the young, and the type of game as consoles work in favour of the inaccurate and impatient (the young).

Cooperative games play takes maturity, pateience and collaborative skills - somethings few young people have.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    You forgot respect in that list. There's no point trying to compete if your team members can't shut their fvcking mouths other than the important bits. It's no use when someone on vent or TS drowns out sound around you, footsteps,reloads,jumping and whatever else are all valuable audio cues.

A problem a lot of clans have ^ a problem I've encountered in every clan I've been in.
  • A problem a lot of clans have ^ a problem I've encountered in every clan I've been in.

Thats another to add to the 'age' list. Mind you, it helps when you run your own Teamspeak server for offence/defence and don't us in-game facilities - not that in-game existed in my day. One of our players was the admin of a company It system so had no problems sticking a couple of dedicated servers on their backbone, keeping them firewalled off and only having them active at night when the company was closed.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    How exactly do you find a server populated by agegroups? Couldn't you just turn off voice? I've never had it turned on in any source based game, bliss :D

It kind of evolved more than anything, the one I use the most, once you get a certain number of more mature gamers and also admins who are more ruthless and efficient than Mr Chasey at getting rid of nuisance types you soon end up with a server of people who play for enjoyment rather than worring about their stats. Some of the regs I play against I've known in the online sense for 7-8yrs now.

There were Counterstrike source servers that had hints in the title at the kind of people they were aiming at too iirc, middle-aged gamers or something like that.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    If you really can't manage the arcade style games, try ArmA II. It is a much more realistic simulation. I've been in a couple of ArmA II clans, one of which had ex military servicemen in (it doesn't exist anymore). It is a really slow-paced, strategical game, with the majority of players over 20.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Ageing reflexes and the interest/attention span of a gnat (on MW2/3 at least) are what gets me killed. That and the hordes of hackers and cheats. Have to say I don't play much any more - it's no fun only being able to stay alive for 3 heartbeats, and even when you do shoot some fecker at point blank range they don't have the decency to die. Just turning into a grumpy old man I guess..... :D
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    I'm playing DayZ mod for Arma 2 at the moment. Utterly fantastic (albeit buggy and script hacker riddles) game, and imo is much better than any of the current FPS games like Call of Duty and Modern Warfare. I got sick of playing with kids, who would abuse you if you outplayed them, call you a cheat if you happen to have one ounce of skill in your system.

I've played FPS games for years, starting in 2000 with Team Fortress, and moving up to BF1942 and it's then huge amount of mods. Tried BF2 and Bad Company, but found them lacking in the game play stakes. I only ever play Black Ops with friends, against bots or each other. We're forming a small DayZ squad where we will play strategically against other squads, competeing for resources like food and weapons.

Oh and console FPS games? Meh, can't aim for crap on those with the shoddy controllers. Need a keyboard and mouse, always!
  • ThomThom wrote:
    Tbh - FPS on consoles is a sin, isn't it.
    It is indeed. Played arguably to much Doom2 on iFrag in the mid 90s (thank you JANET!), and I'm totally and utterly lost without mouse+WASD.
    Mangeur
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Consoles ruined FPS. Gone are the days of modded dedicated servers,pbbans/punksbusted/gameviolations and working anticheat.

Fvcking hate the lobby/matchmaking system! Although waiting excitedly for Black Ops 2 :D

ps: steamid - evilkinevil
  • Nah, I am addicted to BF3 online, conquest/rush/deathmatch. Just practice, takes time, I know I'm 41.
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • I used to play BF 1942 then BF2 online a lot and yeah, completely sucked compared with most of the guys on there. I seemed to be able to die with one bullet hit whereas I could pummel away at someone out in the open and they'd just walk away from it, frustrating as hell. Eventually just resorted to jumping into vehicles and trying to run over as many as possible before I died.
  • BF2 was my thing - 2 Star General in the end. Had some good days, mainly in the planes (got a 52 kill streak one time). Got most of the Gold level awards on there as well, so I never bought any other similar as I knew I'd just get hooked.

Was fun while it lasted though.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter