New Helmet and Hydration Pack

Greer_
Greer_ Posts: 1,716
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all, my birthday is a month away so I've started eyeing up a few bike things I like the look of (and I'd like some opinions!).

First up is the 661 Recon helmet http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=72437 - Is there anything else I should be looking at around that price, a Giro Hex maybe? I ride a lot of XC mainly, so I don't want the Recon if it looks daft for that use!

Second, is the Deuter Race Backpack, http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=35715 - and again, is there anything else should be looking at? It only needs to be big enough to fit tools, a pump, few tubes and a jacket in. It doesn't have to be hydration bag compatible as I usually use a bottle.

Comments

• omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    when buying a helmet you need to try them on , you might get the correct size but it but it might be the wrong shape.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    omegas wrote:
    when buying a helmet you need to try them on , you might get the correct size but it but it might be the wrong shape.

I use the collect+ thing CRC and Wiggle do, so returns and the like don't bother me, there's no rush. Will happily buy it from my LBS too if they have it in stock (and agree to price match).
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    That's all well and good, but it's always easier to try in an actual shop, because you can try on a variety of sizes and brands before you buy. If I bought my current lid (fox flux) from CRC, I'd have ended up getting a size too big, as I usually go large, but this one ended up being a better fit in S/M. It also fit nicer than the Giro lid I tried on in size L. Just go support your LBS while you can.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • hi

i was looking at getting the 661 too but i was on a tight budget and any money saved would go towards something else

after a couple of days bargin hunting i found the Bontrager Quantum on offer at evens cycles, it should be £45 and it was down to 24.99 :) bargain. but if you also sign up to their news letter they send you a code for £5 off anything over £10, so my helmet only cost 19.99 in the end with free delivery, and its in this months what mountain bike mag as best helmet of 2012. :mrgreen:

BontragerQuantum.jpg

with reguards to your backpack i would say look on ebay, the reason being is i used to have the camelbak classic, it was a good backpack but only just enough room for a pump and a few basic tools. so after looking around on line i found a great camelbak that fits all my neads the camel bak mule :) but it was way out my budget £79.99

so i had a look on ebay, and their was about 30 for sale. most of them were complete with bladders but some without, in my case i dident realy need it with a bladder as i could use my old one. so in the end i got a mule camelbak without the bladder the 2011 model for £20 +£3 postage bargain. so if you dont want or need the bladder have a look on ebay their is bound to be something, im a big fan of camelbak's because of their life time warrenty.
    camelbakmule.jpg