will carrier bags keep my feet warm?

mikeouk
mikeouk Posts: 148
edited October 2012 in Road general
yes im serious, just seen the temps for tomorrow and im certain my feet will suffer from the cold.
Im going to have to invest in some winter shoes, but in the mean time, will putting plastic carrier bags in my shoes help any? ive read this tip before for keep feet dry, but does it also insulate?

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Yes... they act as a wind-stopper... but you'll just get sweaty and potentially make the problem worse
  • hipshot
    hipshot Posts: 371
    Yes it insulates. Wrap a plastic bag round your forearm, feel warmer?

Problem is it won't breath. Better than nothing for a short ride, but get warm socks/overshoes asap.
  • mikeouk
    hipshot wrote:

Problem is it won't breath. Better than nothing for a short ride, but get warm socks/overshoes asap.

I already have over shoes but I suspect they wont be enough if its really cold, my feet and hands seem to be very susceptible to the cold, ive already bought winter gloves ,so ok on that score.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • hipshot
    hipshot Posts: 371
    Merino socks and winter overshoes should be enough for most cold days, Shouldnt have to resort to carrier bags.
    redvee wrote:

That's quite a niche reference there redvee.

Er, thanks for sharing :lol:
  • mikeouk
    redvee wrote:

:? Hmmm. How do you know this :?:
  • Get some masking tape and tape over the vents in your shoes, no one will see this when overshoes are worn, keeps the draughts out.
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • Plastic bags are pretty effective. I use them over my shoes then put overshoes on top. Especially for very wet cold rides, the bags keep your feet dry. Yes, you sweat but because there's no wind chill the effect can be a bit like when you get wet feet in a wetsuit, they stay warm because the water heats up with your body temp and is not evaporating - it's the evaporation of water that chills you, if it's sealed in it's not the same issue. I speak from having windsurfed and sailed in a wetsuit for many years and use the plastic bag method for most of my winter commutes. Not carrier bags, just clear plastic food bags.

Key thing in the real cold is to have not-too-tight shoes. You need wiggle room.

For subzero days, an old pair of (synthetic thermal type) socks (with cleat holes cut out) over your shoes then your overshoes on top is claimed by many to be very effective. I'm planning this for the icy commutes this winter.

Of course all these solutions are a little bit of a faff, but if it means two hours or so of relative comfort and gets you out on the bike on a beautiful winter's day, then it's worth it, I think.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    yes - but you will look like a pikey!
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    hipshot wrote:
    Merino socks and winter overshoes should be enough for most cold days, Shouldnt have to resort to carrier bags.

If only this were even close to true...... :(
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Two pairs of old 1000 mile running socks, plus overshoes = warm no matter how cold the weather.

Effectively a four layer, breathable sock with a windstopper overshoe works perfectly for me - I won;t admit to how old the 1000 mile socks are but they are well past the running stage but still good for cycling.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Rolf F wrote:
    hipshot wrote:

If only this were even close to true...... :(

Works for me; I've never needed anything more than Woolie Bollies and Pro Tarmac overshoes. Keeps my feet toasty :D
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Gabbo
    Gabbo Posts: 864
    I've had ten numb toes today and they're still numb! Not impressed. Time to invest in something to keep them warmer (overshoes, are they?).
  • mikeouk
    well i tried it with asda carrier bags over my socks ,then shoes, and then my BBB heavy duty over shoes. Set off at 8.30 in sub zero temps, did a 58 mile ride up the lakes with a high climb over langdale where it was pretty damn chilly. My feet were toasty all the way. I suffer from numb feet even on colder summer days, so believe me, this is quite an achievement. My socks where only slightly damp at the end. Might not work for everyone im sure, ive never suffered from sweaty feet.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    edited October 2012
    I went out today without overshoes on. Thought I'd be alright, I usually get numb feet but they come back to life after 5 minutes in the house. This time, it didnt happen. Took my socks off and found 2 dark blue toes. Panic ensues, but a bit of massage and towels wrapped around my feet got them back to the colour they should be!

Must buy overshoes!!!!
  • mikeouk
    nweststeyn wrote:
    I went out today with overshoes on.

Must buy overshoes!!!!

you want 2 pairs of overshoes? :?
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    mikeouk wrote:
    nweststeyn wrote:
    I went out today with overshoes on.

Must buy overshoes!!!!

you want 2 pairs of overshoes? :?

editing my original post to make sense... I meant to say WITHOUT.

:D:D:D
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    My standard winter (dry) wear is woolie boolies with BBB waterflex overshoes, and i cant remember having problems with my feet
  • It's time for me to buy a pair of overshoes. Did 40miles today with my usual time rxi's and two pairs of socks but after 20 miles or so my feet were painfully cold. What should have been a great run on a beautiful (and chilly) day was spoiled by cold feet. Also riding on some of lanarkshires most potholed roads didn't do much for my mood :(
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I did 60 miles today with woolie boolies... and DIY toe covers (cut up sandwich bags) under my Prendas oversocks (really thin.. not for insulation.. but useful for keeping muck off shoes on dry days)

Feet were fine.

I think part of the problem for a lot of people is overdoing it -> perhaps you'll never get toasty warm feet.. but putting on 10 pairs of socks is just going to make you sweat, and immobilize your feet -> Both of which will just put you in a worse position.

This time of year its best to go for wind-stopper solutions so you have less of a problem with sweat.
  • farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    mikeouk wrote:
    hipshot wrote:

I already have over shoes but I suspect they wont be enough if its really cold, my feet and hands seem to be very susceptible to the cold, ive already bought winter gloves ,so ok on that score.

Have a look at Sidi Hydro GTX shoes - you will need deep pockets mind.

Regards

Alan
    Regards
    Alan
  • Get some masking tape and tape over the vents in your shoes, no one will see this when overshoes are worn, keeps the draughts out.
    This works a treat, especially with vents on the sole.
    Mangeur
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Your own personal solution to this will depend on how well your body deals with cold weather anyway. I say this as someone who always struggles with cold hands and feet at the best of times, so much so that I don't bother with cycling when the temperatures dips too low as for me the hassle/pain/misery induced by trying to overcome it simply isn't worth it..but it's not too big a deal personally as I'll happily go for a run instead. However if you've poor circulation and cycling is your only active outlet then I feel for you.