SRAM Red: 59/39 to compact

klegg68
klegg68 Posts: 9
edited October 2012 in Workshop
Hi, I am riding a SRAM Red 53/39 (GXP) chainset but want to change it to a compact temporarily for a trip I am planning, question, is can I simply change the inner chainring, or do I need to buy a need chainset. If so are there SRAM GXP products out there.

Thanks

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    If it's temporary why does it need to be Red? Buy any of the cheaper SRAM cranksets in compact format and save yourself a heap of money. They're all out there in GXP standard. I recently picked up a Red/Black compact crankset at a very reduced price from Wiggle but I use a compact anyway. Rival and Force should work fine with the Red FD, but I'm not sure about Apex. Can't see why it wouldn't though.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    If you do want to spend a bit buy the Sram Red Black compact, i got GXP one for £189 the other wk.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,522
    the 53/39 spider is 130bcd, you cannot fit compact rings on it, they need a 110bcd spider

what cassette are you using? if you are currently using an xx-25 cassette, you could fit an xx-28, the 39/28 combination will be only 2% harder than a 34/25

otherwise, look for bargains on a compact
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • hi everyone,

many thanks for the replies. Think its going to be a force/rival chainset. Seems like the best solution.

thanks