mavic 117 or alexrim td24?

Dazbot
Dazbot Posts: 22
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi, just a quick question.

Looking at some wheelsets. Mavic 117s (few months old) and some alexrims td24s (one yr old). Am I right in thinking tjat the alexrims are fitted as standard on some giants etc and the 117s are from specialized? Which is best, only 20 quid between them.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Erm the Mavic 117's are from Mavic? I have a few on differnt hubs, all depends on how they were sold (part of an OE wheelset, aftermarket or as rims only although the last is unlikely for a 117).

What you state refers to the rims what hubs?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Dazbot
    Dazbot Posts: 22
    Thanks for the reply. I meant that mavic seem to be on specialized bikes a lot. Both with shimano hubs.
    Looking around ive.just realised that second hand wheels go cheap. Might just stump up a bit more cash for.something a lot better.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I dare say they were at some point, but the 4 spesh wheels I've had none were...... For around £100 you can get a good used set, some spesh wheels are quite good, the ones on the lads P1 AM were a 2kg set.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have had both. They are both a bit rubbish to be honest. The Mavic's came on a Giant Trance, they split at a few of the spoke holes. I replaced them with a set of Alex TD24's I bought in the bikeradar classifieds, I think they were from a Mongoose and they dented very easily.
    Superstar XCX are better than either and pretty cheap at £130
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=536
    And they come with free harido