Why is this not a fantastic idea? (Tyre technology)

coopster_the_1st
coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
http://www.chopmtb.com/2012/10/26/airless-tyres-what-will-they-think-of-next-check-out-the-weird-looking-energy-return-wheel/

Even though these are mtb tyres, I cannot see why they would not be a fantastic idea for tyres

Can anyone on here see problems?

They can cover the holes with thin plastic to stop water debris getting into the tyres but apart from that, this seems inspired to me

Comments

• pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    Weight?
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    weight, fill with mud, non adjustable pressure?
  • iPete wrote:
    weight, fill with mud, non adjustable pressure?

Weight is claimed to be lightweight
    thin sidewall apparently is being thought about to keep mud etc out.
    Pressure is ajustable.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    This is even better:

522874_10152167634175158_1417301143_n.jpg
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • As I understand it the great benefit of pneumatic tyres is that the whole volume of air inside the tyre acts as a shock absorber. Whereas those tyres only provide absorption at the point of contact.

Sheldon explains it far better than I ever could:

http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_aa-l.html#airless

That article refers to "airless" foam tyres but I think the basic principle is the same.

PP
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Cost.

There were some proof of concept versions for cars several years ago. The idea being that one could simply replace the tread from time to time. I can't imagine that they are easier or cheaper to build than tyres.

Weight.

I don't believe that they could be as light as a bicycle tyre, particularly with the adjustment hardware. What is "lightweight" compared to?

The Sheldon Brown article doesn't apply. The airless tyres of the general type shown derive their properties from the materials of their construction, not compression of air bubbles in foam. There's no particular reason why they couldn't remain within a fairly linear elastic region during use, and so mimic a pneumatic tyre.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Imagine Wiggle trying to get that through your postbox.

As for weight, take away your puncture repair kit/pimp etc and balance would be restored. Rotational weight would become a factor though.

Adjustable pressure? Yeah right. Surely I'm not the only person who knocks a few psi off my tyres after rain. Don't need much of a toolkit for this atm.

I know a sidewall would cure it but I reckon it'd whistle at a higher speed. What effect will the sidewall have on the weight?
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    I agree that unless you have a tandem, a pimp is just going to add unecessary weight.
    998ad9a9-662f-42bd-930c-ae6756ab34aa.jpg